Editing Dahl and others

No, in my utopia they would leave the text 100% intact. An editor or whoever could then write annotations, introductory essays, remix the text and make something new… I don’t care. But put your name on your own work. Leave Dahl alone.

It’s not a different topic. It’s nailing down and trying to understand what your actual objection is. When you rattle off several different reasons to object to edits, it’s not clear at all if only one of those things you actually object to, or if it’s only the combination of all of them that you object to. In this case, it seems pretty clear (now) that the profits of the heirs is completely superfluous to you, so at best you seem to be throwing it out there to win people who object to copyright law to your side even though you don’t give a shit.

1 Like

I don’t understand how everyone involved with this discussion here can be completely wrong. Logically, one side of the issue has to be right here, and yet.

every book edition already carries the publisher and year, and some other metadata information like ISBN which would give you the editor, that usually the reader doesn’t care to lookup and too much to include, but that record exists. and the history of most famous books and novels is documented, sometimes there are books comparing different versions of the same novel (e.g. War and Peace). you mmight be thinking that it should be on the cover, which is just an impossible standard, and has never been true in literature.

or for that matter

Your pilot should know how to fly a plane you dumb motherfucker.

Wat’s the mod situation here? Is “dumb motherfucker” too much? I welcome the input of Sensitivity Readers but in the spirit of this thread I’d ask the courtesy of letting me edit the post myself.

1 Like

You can check with them on NomNoms

He didn’t say “published novelist” and in light of this, do you have any thoughts about being able to “speak intelligently” (lol) about any knowing-how-to-read requirements for participating in reading and writing discussions?

Check with them about what lol are you people using some pre-chatGPT thing to write these posts?

1 Like

I mean yeah that’s the root: everybody would be in consensus that the Dahl and related edits were at least “a little fucking weird” if it wasn’t the itchiest forum drama situation I’ve yet seen.

WHOA SETTLE DOWN BUDDY MOD AND MASTER MUCH

Lol it’s like those long-running OOT threads where I’d suspect everybody was doing a bit/performance art.

The guys who thought “No Masters No Gods” was a cool-ass name fancy themselves as literary gatekeepers now, even circling the drain this place delivers the comedy.

1 Like

Ooo seems like some dumb motherfucker got upset he was embarrassed again for being a dumb motherfucker. It occurs to me to simply stop being a dumb motherfucker but maybe it’s too ingrained. Like my daddy always done told me, son, he said, son, you can lead a dumb motherfucker to water but don’t beat him if he’s already dead.

2 Likes

You had to put that insult at the end because you knew how pathetic of an analogy that is

1 Like

Apparently even the “tell me x without telling me x” meme is above you people’s paygrade, but Lord have mercy tell me your politics aren’t actually remotely left without telling me your politics aren’t actually remotely left.

Shit’s so common knowledge it has its own disambiguation page lol. Yet and still this dumb motherfucker’s stride is not broken.

Haha the ironing board lol.

1 Like

What did I tell you about talking to me? I told you it for your own good.

Ok Ignatius Reilly

1 Like

Right, it was around that time. And I only told you to help you get less mad at me/us.

But I mean if you insist, lol, what are you thoughts about editing A Confederacy Of Dunces after the Sensitivity Readers get a hold of it.