Eating Flexitarian, Vegetarian, and Vegan

I looked into making it myself. I stopped when I got to the food processor part. This is a food that was invented after electricity? Also, I just got home from the grocery store and I didn’t see it there. They don’t even sell sesame seeds afaict.

what?
you don’t make tahini paste. you buy tahini paste. I linked you a brand that is very good. You make Tahini sauce out of raw tahini paste by adding water and lemon juice.

Tahini paste is made using a millstone. I don’t think you want to take on that adventure.

You can make it. Their app says they sell the stuff and it’s in aisles 2, , 4 and 5. Like all over the place and I still didn’t see it! Maybe next time.

Make raw tahini paste? sure but that’s like making flour. it seems like a huge hassle for nothing.

Barake (the 3rd one in your picture) is an Israeli brand that I’m not a huge fan of but my MIL uses and we once got into a very heated argument about. It’s acceptable (but don’t tell her)

1 Like

If you make your own (mortar and pestle?) I bet MIL is impressed.

No one makes his own Tahini paste. Just like no one makes his own pasta flour. . You make your own tahini by buying the raw paste and not buying some pre-mixed shit.

This is serious business man.

1 Like

It’s been hard to find vegetables for a quality stir fry in the Czech Republic. The only place I’ve been able to find the proper material is in Sapa (Prague’s Little Hanoi) and it’s really in the middle of nowhere relative to the city. It’s the only place that has actual chili peppers in the country. The rest of the spicy food here is embarrassing.

Hipsters ruined sriracha. I mean once you have sriracha beer, it’s over.

Ok that’s interesting, but “Basalt is way better than the machines they use today.” seems like some Big Sesame propaganda. Anyway I think you can get a basalt mortar and pestle if you want. Called a molcateje in Mexico.

sky is right about a wok being perfect if you want more veggies in your life, pretty much any veg you like comes out crispy and great. I’m not vegetarian at all but I try to get more plant-protein in me these days. Local grocery store sells dinner kits with tofu and pre-made sauce, just throw the tofu in a wok with some veggies, add the sauce and get some rice going. I do this like once a week because it’s super quick and easy.

1 Like

Good tempeh bacon is pretty good. It’s probably better than at least half of the bacon that I encounter.

I stopped eating red meat (mostly) at the start of this year and honestly I don’t miss it much at all. It is annoying when I need fast food but everyone sells chicken burgers these days.

if I’m out of chiles and am too lazy to go to the store, I just make a black pepper sauce instead. Different kind of spicy, but adding extra black pepper adds some heat. For a slightly different flavor, use white pepper if you can find it.

As for veggies, I guess I’m spoiled living in CA, but tbh, you can use anything. I have stir fried just about everything under the sun at one time or another. even asparagus and brussels sprouts. I treated the sprouts like I would if I was using meat…cooked them first then removed them, did everything else, threw it all back together at the end then added the sauce.

3 Likes

I feel like India has basically solved vegetarian food. There are tons of great non-meat dishes. I could very easily be 100% plant based if I had a steady stream of high quality Indian food (nearly all Indian restaurants aren’t that great).

The main problem is that a lot of Indian food is very labor intensive, even for pretty simple stuff. Maybe if you cook it a lot it gets easier.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the quality and selection of vegetables in the Czech Republic is fairly low. Avocados are basically as hard as rocks here. When I visited New York, I barely needed to cut them. I pretty much squeezed everything out of each half.

Tomato curry and saag are a snap to make at home if you use pre-made spices and a food processor.

Lots of Indian foods freeze well, too. I make large batches of channa masala a few times a year that gets portioned out and frozen.

Glad to see a thread like this, will be a regular reader. Been vegan for four years, vego for 10, am still a terrible cook and have a terrible diet but really wanting to cook more food from scratch this year.

1 Like

Middle eastern cooking has a lot of great veggie options and some of it isn’t hard to prepare yourself. Olive oil + lemon juice is a nice combo used to make a lot of simple to prepare dishes tasty.

2 Likes

Peppers, cabbage, slivers of carrots, onions, cubes of potato, cauliflower, shaved brussel sprouts, frozen peas, frozen corn. There’s a euro version of a stir fry in there somewhere. With some fresh garlic and soy and maybe ginger if you can find it you’re basically there.

I went Flexatarian a few years ago. Had a great Poke place near my work that made it a breeze. Just subbed Avocodo or tofu for the fish, and got through the first week just eating poke bowls everyday for lunch. Still bathed in flavortown.

I do eat fish now and that is what I will get at a fancy restaurant and not miss the steak or whatever one bit. I actually don’t like the taste of most beef or pork anymore despite being a big Steak Guy before. I mean I do find something like a well marbled ribeye tasty if offered it and don’t feel like turning it down, still human after all, but actively don’t enjoy stuff like Filet Mignon/New York strip or the stuff they scoop on your burrito bowl or whatever.

The one meat that I still love and indulge in somewhat regularly is a Chicfila style chicken sandwich.