East Palestine, Ohio

It’s a little trickier when questioning a direct co-worker. Let’s just say if it passed I kept my mouth shut. And if it failed I did everything I could to help them discover the problem on their own without fessing up. (Gee, Pam my carbon balances are off lately, any chance something changed with the calibration curve?).

https://twitter.com/MoltisantiThots/status/1626733462026858497

9 Likes

No, Hell is in Michigan. Literally.

3 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

https://twitter.com/secretarypete/status/1629250264745103368?s=46&t=9nAQd9oG21S2UDdyPGscZA

I wonder what percentage of congresspeople couldn’t pass a 9th grade civics exam.

What percentage are currently Republicans? Probably add 5% to that and you have your answer.

I don’t expect joe blow from Ohio to know that the NTSB is independent.

but an entire cadre of congresspeople? That makes me just feel an extreme sense of nihilism. Like, how the fuck do we fix this? I can’t see a way…

If a way exists, it’s probably nothing within the range of conventional electoral politics and it probably involves taking a legitimate risk of making things worse.

Well Joe Blow sure believes his congress critter more than that dress shoe wearing Mayor Pete.

So therefore the NTSB is in the DOT and it’s all Pete’s fault. Both the accident and the aftermath. That’s just science.

It’s a completely unique American phenomenon whereby the less qualified you are the more likely you are to get elected. Only in America is competency seen as disqualifying.

What’s needed is a culture change which is far more difficult than a political one.

1 Like

What exactly has Pete done about this since it happened though. This scoffing about jurisdictional niceties would land a lot better if he had used the powers he does have to do literally anything since the disaster occurred.

2 Likes

They have deployed the EPA, DoT, FEMA and provided funds for emergency support.

What they haven’t done is the classic, and very stupid, photo op.

“They have done nothing” is a Fox News talking point. They have literally done everything they have the power to do.

1 Like

4 Likes

A ton of Americans think the role of politicians is to prevent the government from forcing you to do anything. These egghead scientists and researchers are always coming up with annoying facts in support of government action (OVERREACH!) so we don’t want them involved in government. We want the highly trained scientists working on additional ways to increase corporate profits with corn syrup.

4 Likes

The date on that book is really fascinating, as the moon landing in 1969 would have happened just a few years later. Maybe it’s just part of the mythology of America, but there is a narrative that the moon landing happening live on TV influenced the public perception of the sciences. When science helps you beat the dirty commie Russians it’s good, when it supports a regulation that’s bad.

there is no world where that “well ackshually” tweet lands with anybody on either side except for a few nerds on a politics board. its a bad tweet and sums up why Pete sucks at politics.

Why is it a bad tweet rather than a neutral tweet that doesn’t move the needle either way?