Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

71hs86

12 Likes

$14 billion seems like a more reasonable price for Twitter now.

1 Like

FYP.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1594191387519373313

Twitter is aliiiive, with the sound of douches

bagdad-bob

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/b3nsh4p1ro/status/1593476680273858561?s=46&t=WW99lgWqJ5BofEwJHBdtkg

4 Likes

Ok I really might be done

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1594386046149529600?s=46&t=t-T0ELBASc-iq8oC1GTQAA

2 Likes

Freeze peach!

1 Like

Other than far-right groups, who is going to advertise on Twitter these days? I can’t believe any mainstream organization will. Kanye unban is more controversial than even Trump’s.

2 Likes

All the ads I see on twitter are listicles.

WTF is a listicle?

Edit: Oh, nevermind. Those dumb “top 5 reasons you dind’t know X, click to find out!”

I truly don’t think Elon understands how twitter makes money. The only other explanation is that he’s doing this for Russia/China/Saudi Arabia for god knows what reason(s). For now I’m sticking with “he’s just an idiot on drugs.”

1 Like

I think I’m still more alarmed than entertained. Twitter was arguably the social media arm least controlled by fascists and now it will be overrun by Russian bots while Elon crows about freeing the silent majority. Even the best-case scenario (Elon tanks it in six months) still gives the morons another short-term echo chamber to vomit nonsense back-and-forth instead of engaging in post-midterm reflection or adjustment. Worst case, the bad guys have captured a massive user base and further insulated fascists against effective community organization.

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic, but I hate it.

4 Likes

I think he really believes he can switch twitter from being ad driven to being subscription driven.

I don’t think he can do it. I am a twitter user, I won’t pay it. I suffer the advertising but that’s my extent to it. I can’t think of any modern social media I would subscribe to monthly,

he’s looking at like 3-5 internal traffic graphs and thinks he’s doing just fine

I wonder if Elon realised before buying Twitter that the general public mostly don’t like him. He would have a lot of contact with his fanboys. I wonder if he realised the number of people out there for whom “because fuck Elon Musk that’s why” is a fully sufficient reason to never under any circumstances pay for Twitter. I think that would have been a tough thing for him to imagine.

I think this may be a bit myopic. Most of the general public either don’t know who he is or think of him as the Tesla guy.

Twitter is a small niche social media site. It’s tiny next to things like Facebook ect. Most people have never used it.

Most people won’t care if it goes away.

6 Likes

I know someone else suggested it, but why doesn’t Google (or some other tech giant), just make their own twitter competitor. They’ve already got the people to do it. They could bang it out in a couple of weeks. And people want an alternative. Obviously there is something I’m not understanding.

It’s just the nature of the Internet so far that someone will come along and dominate a space, everyone else will complain about the dominant site for years while better competitors spring up but fail to become dominant themselves until suddenly out of nowhere something comes along and replaces the old site.

The dominant sites have gotten much better at fending off competitors so the process has slowed down a bit but Twitter has the potential to shed a huge chunk of its userbase faster than anything we’ve seen since Digg tried to keep the MPAA crypto key secret back in 2007.

1 Like