Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

https://twitter.com/dougjballoon/status/1593791837679992832?s=46&t=v4RsolaCDEL1wtW5-ClxYg

13 Likes

I’ve never had anyone review my code (not a programmer). How do these go? Is it like

Ah, yes, for loop. I might have gone with a while loop there. Hmm, if-then-else… very nice.

12 Likes

3 new employees getting ready for his walkabouts.

2 Likes

4 Likes

its easy to fire people in CA?

Can Elon even read code?

2 Likes

At my company code can’t be merged into the source database without a code review. The way it goes is I make a set of changes to the code. I upload those to the source database as a proposed change. The reviewer(s) can see the code in context. They will look at the code and the ticket connected to the change which describes what problem I’m solving.

The reviewer(s) will look for:

• Does my change solve the problem?
  • Is there some context I’m missing which makes my change bad?
  • Is there a better solution?
  • Do I have tests which prove my solution works?
  • Does my code match the official writing style guide?

They can leave comments on the change. I respond to their comments by editing my change. Once they approve, I submit the change and it becomes official, for now.

3 Likes

There are probably lots of incel devs applying to work for twitter right now who would love to work 16 hours a day.

Most corporations have internal policies where you have to put people on the improvement plan, and give them multiple warnings and document that they didn’t live up to what they said they would do, and whatever other BS. Unless they take a shit on the boss’s desk or something. But I don’t think any of that is codified in the state law.

I mean you just saw Elon fire people by tweet or criticizing him.

That seems entirely reasonable. And also very unlike what Elon is doing. Like pretty much no one could walk in off the street and in a few minutes understand the problem one of dozens of programmers is working on then evaluate the code, give feedback, and decide the course of that person’s life and have people take them seriously, right?

If ever there was a time to bring in stuff from the Obfuscated C competition…

2 Likes

He seems to think he can. I think he was a dev at one point

Of course not.

Right. I can do an excellent code review for the services I work on because I have context. For random code I can only look for superficial or obvious issues – your for vs. while loop. I don’t know if the code solves the problem or is a terrible idea – because I don’t have context.

4 Likes

Ok but then I don’t understand this whole angle. Like what does he do when they show it to him? You can’t fake it.

Elon’s entourage probably includes someone who can read it.

There’s not a lot going on here. Elon used to write software (?) or whatever and likes to think he’s smart and knows what’s going on. So he’s asking to look at code because he thinks he’ll be able to tell what’s good and what isn’t, or thinks that he’s establishing dominance among their engineers by demanding to review their work, or something. He’ll squint at some code for a couple minutes, and ask dumb questions or unrelated questions, or dumb unrelated questions. The review will not be effective in any sense for any party involved.

11 Likes

These guys work at fucking twitter they have already been vetted. I bet he has some stupid bullshit plan in his head about sniffing out the “diversity” hires.

1 Like

Also, it’s after dark on a Friday heading into a holiday week, so any non-production-related engineering tasks are prima facie bullshit and all the engineers know it. So even among the chuds still working there, only the chuddiest will be participating in whatever code review scames are happening tonight. So you know it’s gonna be great.

1 Like

I can’t tell if he’s just purposefully driving Twitter in the ground by torturing his employees and he knows it or if he’s trying to play act like a hard driving CEO for the chuds and is delusionally crashing Twitter. He has to know (has to!) that just randomly spot checking people’s code on a Friday afternoon is completely ineffective for whatever good faith goal he has. I mean it doesn’t matter what industry you’re in this kind of “yea I know I’ve fired 25 to 50% of your team but stop what you’re doing, pull what you’ve been doing the last week, and let me see it” is going to demoralize everyone.

1 Like