Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

I hate Elon Musk.

I unabashedly love my Tesla. Of course, i bought it before he went so publicly batshit insane. But I still love the car.

Would I get another one? Probably not, but more due to the fact that this household drives vehicles until they literally fall apart (and I’m talking the actual definition of “literally”) so I don’t anticipate needing or wanting to buy another car for a long time.

In the 4 years since we got it, the options for EVs have expanded greatly, so If I ever do need another car, I won’t feel obligated to get a Tesla. Back then, it was the only viable choice for someone who wanted to drive an EV but lived a long way from anywhere or planned to use it for more than just city driving.

6 Likes

I feel like, with a Tesla, you’re paying a shit ton for brand at this point. My wife’s car is probably going to need to be replaced in the next few years, and we’d like to replace it with an EV since she only drives it 10 miles a day and we never use it for long distance trips. I can get a comparable Toyota or Honda or Hyundai EV for like half the price of a Tesla.

Ok so you have no concern just generally with the customer service, product support, safety, etc. of something provided by Musk? Politics and decency aside, spending $50k+ on a Tesla at this point seems like a dubious decision.

Car companies have had a checkered past, but I would trust Toyota or Honda to do right by me as a customer way more than anything associated with Elon Musk.

1 Like

I’m not buying it now. I bought it 4 years ago. A new car won’t be in the cards for us for many years.

I’ve never had an issue with quality or customer service. The only major repair we’ve ever needed was a new wiring harness, and that wasn’t Tesla’s fault, it was rats eating the wires. Customer service was responsive and helpful. I’m sure that has a lot to do with the fact that we live in CA and they’ve been up and running here for far longer than other places.

I can’t change it now, and like I said, we are not “sell the car and get a new one every 5 years” kind of people. As a matter of fact, it is the ONLY new car we’ve ever bought. We will drive it into the ground, just like we do all our other cars. Our next newest vehicle is a 2003 Jetta.

If Elon was this transparent when he was founding Tesla, would it be different? Sure, absolutely. Will it survive his mental breakdown and deplorability? Maybe? I don’t know when the tipping point for a company is, where it goes from being the creation of a “visionary” (lol whatever) to being just another corporation that operates mostly on its own (CEOs be damned).

Lee Iacocca was a repugnant piece of shit and his decisions cost way more lives…and yet, Ford lives on.

3 Likes

Because of the Pinto?

yeah, he was in charge at Ford then. He didn’t move to Chrysler until later

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1591836824900702211

“Is he the greatest living inventor?” I dunno we’ll see

2 Likes

I am waiting for Yilan Ma to take over for Elon.

I wasn’t suggesting you sell. I was responding to “probably not” (buy another Tesla), meaning you might.

Giving your employees free lunch is so much leveraged good will compared to what it costs. Conversely, taking it away will have a much worse effect on morale than the amount they have to pay.

I’ve seen programmers and managers who all make well over $100k stampede when someone emails “free sandwiches in the break room” - even though it’s 3pm and no one’s even hungry.

There’s something primal about getting free food that hits a lot deeper than cost imo.

20 Likes

Elon running twitter like a tyrant Arbys franchisee sure is something. What could go wrong.

2 Likes

Never heard of this site but it appears to be news.

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1591972931474694144

See, USA government already funding twitter

Elon will be fine

3 Likes

Reminds me of Man City needing revenue to avoid getting penalised for financial fair play so they signed an insanely overpriced sponsorship deal with Emirates airways.

I feel personally attacked

3 Likes

Does SpaceX actually have any public-facing products that it needs to sell? WTF is it advertising?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a SpaceX ad ever.

Why would you get penalized for playing fairly?

I assume they’ll send targeted ads to the various govt officials who do space contracting.

1 Like

I see Boeing and Lockheed Martin ads once in awhile.