Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

Maybe not by you but asset seizures were definitely talked about as being inevitable by some here.

PANIC MODE was only 5 days ago…

Asset seizures would have begun if he didn’t pay the bond, effectively canceling his appeal process. What are you talking about? Bond was reduced and he’s been given 10 days to pay it. If he pays the bond, nothing will happen until he exhausts his appeals. All the talk around here was that he couldn’t come up with the $454 million bond and that asset seizures could begin when he refuses to pay that bond. Now he’s been given something he can post. If he posts it, which he likely will, this isn’t a story again for a long time.

I went back and looked. “Panic Mode” was used in a CNN headline posted here. Most posts had appropriate caveats.

Also saw this on the topic of paying legal bills:
https://x.com/michellelprice/status/1770880210453307412?s=46

Outrageous that the court ignores this guy standing outside the courthouse telling the press he has plenty of money, then granting him lower bond as well as more time to pay that lower sum

12 Likes

You are embarrassing yourself.

Quite the take that if they reduced the bond for no reason other than he can afford it then they won’t seize his property.

You sure did call that one.

Consequences!!!

3 Likes

This has been his MO not just for his political career but his entire business career as well.

Read for comprehension please. Putting the money up for appeal means it’s held until appeals are exhausted. If you don’t put up the money, it immediately can go to asset seizure because you did not appeal. He will post bond and no asset seizure will be necessary unless the full judgment is upheld (it won’t be as others have said). If it stays at the bond amount that is today’s amount, the plaintiff is paid when he loses the appeal. Once that money is up it is effectively gone unless he wins the appeal.

1 Like

This was the last straw for me. Never again will I be remotely surprised by any LOL LAW occurrence.

2 Likes

Goalpost: he is having to pay a huge bond or he will have assets seized.

Reality. They just lowered the bond so he won’t have assets seized.

Nunnehi conclusion. Consequences!

When they lower it again in 10 days can I now say inb4 “consequences”

wat. Man you are doing some incredible work here not understanding a word I’m saying. Stop.

I can’t even find a cogent reason why they lowered it and gave him more time.

Because he asked? One time I got a $200 speeding ticket and they lowered it when I apologized and asked them to. Yeah, anything short of Trump having a hand chopped off means he has suffered no consequences, we get it, it’s a captivating rebuttal which is always interesting to hear and definitely adds value to the conversation…

2 Likes

Anything short of having his hand cut off!

He was just given a $260 million dollar gift that no other defendant on earth would get and you are acting like I’m the crazy one to be pissed off. Ok.

Maybe we need some more valuable posts about how he will surely be in jail really soon.

“cancelling the appeals process”

As opposed to what we see here, which is the appeals process cancelling the consequences process

4 Likes

Didn’t Bernie Madoff post a $10 million dollar bond for frauding investors out of billions of dollars?

What in the world are you talking about? You understand that anyone giving Trump bond is guaranteeing a payout when he loses on appeal, correct? That is him paying what will likely be upheld at the final appeals judgment. If he wins his appeal, he gets that money back with interest. This is fully backed to satisfy the judgment (which will likely be lowered to the bond amount) without the defendant determining when money gets paid out and is to avoid people skating away consequence free.

He had 2 options:

1. Pay the bond and have that money gone (via collateral/cash) and ready for payout at the end of the appeals process.

2. Don’t pay the bond and lose his right to appeal, which then allows the plaintiffs to seize assets if he refuses to pay the judgment.

After a lot of whining and a reduction in the bond amount, he is going to do number 1. Number 2 only applies if he doesn’t pay the bond in 10 days and gives up his right to appeal. If he loses the appeal and it’s for more than the bond, they’ll first take the money from the bond and give it to the plaintiff. If the judgment is more than the bond and he refuses to pay, it’s asset seizure time on top. People seem to be willfully misunderstanding what I’ve stated clearly several times.

2 Likes

I don’t know but that’s not the question you should be asking. You should be asking did he have to post $100 million. Not be able to. Wait till the due date then have the court reduce it to $10 million because he could afford that and then give him 10 extra days to come up with the money all so he wouldn’t get any assets seized?

You don’t know why they did it. It could be because they thought it was more reasonable. This isn’t surprising to me. I read a while ago that it would probably be reduced

You are probably right. The fact that it removes all consequences was very likely a happy coincidence for Mr Trump. It was surely the only possible and just outcome of a fair and reasoned reading of the law.

I really can’t believe how many people are in complete denial here in 2024 to be honest. There were people here that thought he was actually getting Trump Tower or his airplane seized. And are now doubling down as if they were right when it was obvious that was never going to happen.

Dude is going to appeal this all the way to the SC and it’s going to get overturned or reduced to some negligible amount. The defendant in question appointed 3 of the current SC justices and Clarence Thomas and Alito can be bought for a trip to sandals. But hey I’m sure the courts will save us any day now.

I know, I know, I’ll have to eat bigly crow when he eventually goes down. Spoiler alert:

That day never comes

6 Likes