Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

Suppose Trump’s friends all do the same thing? Inevitably a bunch of them aren’t as connected/lucky as Trump, aren’t able to repay their loans, and their worthless collateral leaves the banks financially vulnerable. Ofc the banks are too big to fail, so you and I end up bailing them out. Idk finance, but it seems like it would be good to discourage this sort of thing.

1 Like

Right. I’m not advocating fraud lol. Just saying that out of all his criminality and sketchy dealings, this one is pretty far down on my list of things to care about. He paid the loans back according to terms. No one got hurt. Only thing I can think of is like I said in my post above, that if more honest and deserving borrowers couldn’t access loans because the bank’s money was tied up with Trump

I mean, yeah I guess. But short of hard time in jail, losing his business and a pile of money is really hitting him where it hurts, from his pov.

1 Like

NY DA didn’t let them transfer anything to Trump2. Not to be a sweet summer child, but it looks like there might be some… duh duh duhhhhh consequences for Trump soon…

1 Like

You’re also making the classic mistake of thinking something Trump said was true.

Because there is no “victim” doesn’t mean there isn’t a crime.

I think I’m with cactus on this. Letthemfight.jpg

And if this is a problem (it is), it’s a separate problem and the solution is to break up the banks

1 Like

lmao I would never make the mistake of taking Trump at his word. That’s why I posed the question. I just don’t see any victims other what I already mentioned

I understand, it’s hard to feel bad for anyone in the whole story, but it seems a little silly to bitch that Trump gets away with all sorts of shit and then take his side when he finally starts to see some blowback for his actions. If he had defaulted on one of his loans where he claimed his property was worth 500 million more than it is, the bank would suddenly have a 500 million hole on it’s books in addition to the amount of the loan. Just because it didn’t happen doesn’t make it a good practice to encourage. Besides, a billionaire is getting smacked around for being a douche, that’s the best news we’ve had in a decade.

2 Likes

If I attempt to rob a bank and fail. Who’s the victim?

It’s wholly unsurprising that the only person who can make a rich asshole face an actual consequence is not a sympathetic and deserving victim but another rich asshole. If this goes through like people say it will, then I’m poppin’ bottles, even if the alleged victim sucks too.

2 Likes

Here’s the problem.

I’m not going full Cactus here, but I also think there’s some sense to what he’s saying.

What’s the alternative?

If they’re too big to fail, they’re too big to exist. Break them up.

5 Likes

I’m baffled by finance, but it doesn’t seem like being too big is the fundamental problem. It’s a problem because if they go bad they threaten the whole system, but recent failures were “solved” by having bigger banks absorb the smaller banks. So :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What is “polls really just reflect your positive or negative opinion about something/someone”?

https://twitter.com/dcoxpolls/status/1707036595071693097?t=gsZhTos1R3cdSeH0IBRv9w&s=19

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1707059937346560198?t=c7Ub9eNc8A08nTqztOrIBg&s=19

Really unfair to connect the subject and predicate of the same sentence when they’re separated by so many other words

6 Likes

I believe Donald Trump must be dropped by any means necessary, such as this sort of legal action.

2 Likes

You can only have one intent when you rob a bank and that’s to steal what doesn’t belong to you. You can exaggerate on a loan app while still having every intention of paying it back according to terms. Two very different things by my moral standards

Many Ponzi schemes start with intentions of being legitimate.

1 Like

Ok. I buy some cocaine and snort it.

Who’s the victim?

It’s still illegal.