Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

download (14)

6 Likes

I always forget it’s got Michael Keaton too. The movie is stacked wtf.

Cheers :popcorn:

2 Likes

A federal judge in Georgia ordered Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis to respond to Mark Meadows’ request for an emergency stay of her arrest warrant by 3 p.m. ET tomorrow.

Is this normal?

It’s fast, but doesn’t seem too crazy since the deadline for surrendering is Friday, so Judge needs to rule fast if the ruling is going to matter.

1 Like

No. Federal judges aren’t even the first appeals court for district state courts in any states that I am aware of.

Isn’t he filing federally b/c it’s tied into his motion for removal? (I don’t think he’s “appealing” as much as filing directly w/ the Feds b/c he’s arguing that is the appropriate venue for his case)

1 Like

2 Likes

Imagine being the dumbest Trump

19 Likes

Well shit. Totally misread all that as related to Trump, not Meadows. My view would still be you need to appeal in state court as to whether it would be removed first though? Others here with more experience in this field may be able to correct me.

Moran!

18 Likes

State courts don’t rule on the removal issue. The standards for removal are dictated by federal law. The defendant files in US court and, if the case meets the standard for removal, the US Court just takes the case.

2 Likes

I need remedial civ pro i guess. You are right.

Heh. I’ve been procrastinating from my real work by reading up on this stuff all day, and it’s still goofy to me.

1 Like

Writers are getting lazy

I believe the notice of removal immediately divests the state court of jurisdiction unless the case is remanded. I had a case where we removed, but there was some mixup where the notice wasn’t filed in the state court, then the state court court held an unopposed previously scheduled hearing (canceled by removal), and opposing counsel, who had received the removal notice, appeared, and the North Carolina state judge defaulted us or whatever. We had to appeal and won on appeal and then went forward with the removed case in federal court.

It was pointed out to me that removal is rare in criminal cases, but there is a law that it can happen if the charge stems from action taken by a federal official in the course of his duties. I recommend not extrapolating procedure for civil removal to criminal cases.

Flattering

10 Likes

Beadiest eyes since golem.

2 Likes

13 Likes

My Costco card pic almost as bad tbf.

3 Likes