Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

Conference postponed for a few days.

For what little doubt there is about Cannonā€™s integrity, I think this is the test.

Maybe she uses security clearances as one excuse for granting this.

1 Like

Even if she attwmp such a thing, it would likely be overturned on appeal. And even if it didnā€™t get overturned, charges would be brought in NJ. Heā€™s NOT getting out of this before the election

1 Like

My hazy understanding is she can do whatever she wants as far as delays and appeals would go nowhere unless thereā€™s some blatant misconduct.

If she wants to help Trump as much as possible, maybe her strategy should be not to grant the delay heā€™s asked for, but some ā€œcompromiseā€ that gives him time without triggering NJ. From DOJā€™s pov, they can use NJ as a lever to move things along.

DOJ will also indict on J6 stuff, I think. Some of the trials will at least start before the election. IDK, itā€™s a mess.

If she rules for an unreasonable delay and the DOJ appeals, the appeal guarantees that trial will not take place before the election.

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you think of Jack Smith. If heā€™s also in the tank for Trump, then all the worrying is warranted. But one thing Iā€™m pretty certain of is that heā€™s not an idiot and understands how calenders work. Heā€™ll get something to trial well before the election. And from what Iā€™ve been reading the trial itself shouldnā€™t take too long either

I expect Smith will do his job. In other news

NEW: The Justice Department tells a NY judge it has reversed its position due to legal developments & new facts, and says it has determined former President Trump was *not* acting within the scope of his office when he made statements that allegedly defamed E. Jean Carroll.

ā€” Carrie Johnson (@johnson_carrie) July 11, 2023

I could do without the happy talk, but looking forward to the Weissmann/McCord podcast this week.

1 Like

in a kind of perverse ā€œletā€™s watch the world burnā€ thought i kind of want to see Cannon let the case empanel a jury, let the government put up their case, and then decide that the government hasnā€™t met the elements and dismiss the case without room for an appeal and jeopardy already attached. a little judge nullification action.

That wonā€™t cause the world to burn. His conviction will. The right are the torch bearers.

If what you described happens the worst is some dems will send strongly worded letters about norms.

Jack Smith strategy: if Cannon delays setting a trial date, will he move to sever Nauta and seek to go to trial quickly on him, since his charges are far simpler. Normally you don't try a lesser defendant first, but here it would permit the jury and public to see some evidence.

ā€” Andrew Weissmann (weissmann11 on Threads)šŸŒ» (@AWeissmann_) July 11, 2023

Prosecuting Donald Trump podcast is up fwiw.

1 Like

Appreciate you this is good

1 Like

I know MSNBC people donā€™t necessarily get a lot of respect but I think itā€™s worthwhile.

1 Like

No hate from me. Same for me with The Daily vs the NYT itself.

1 Like
3 Likes

This would be a good time to kick him in the ass with the federal J6 indictment.

NBC News confirms: Trump is asking the Georgia Supreme Court and the Fulton County Superior Court to disqualify Fulton County DA Fani Willis from investigating him and to block the final report of the special grand jury that would recommend indictments in the matter. @MSNBC

ā€” Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 14, 2023

This is obviously pie in the sky wishful thinking, but just imagine for a sec that if Trump does get indicted for J6 and prosecution asks for and gets granted no bail (due to severity of charges, being a flight risk and a continued threat). What would such a world look like? Heā€™d finally be shut up for good. No more Truth Social posts. Sure, thereā€™d be some crying by MAGAts, but I think it would quickly dissipate and heā€™d lose all relevance. Sane Republicans would move on and the country would return to normal again. I think itā€™s just what we need

2 Likes

At most heā€™d get house arrest or ankle monitor and heā€™d still be Truthing. Still no chance though.

1 Like

Lol Iā€™m smiling

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comments/14zkdwt/trump_playing_golf/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

8 Likes

There are as many of these in the country as there are fluorescent warthogs.

1 Like