Doing martial arts

We have a fighting thread here that focus on people who watch MMA and boxing. But what about those who actually do it?

I had some experience with krav maga and BJJ (though experience is a pretty generous description of it). However, the KM program around me doesn’t include much pressure testing and the S:T ratio is way too high.

I had to buy a new gi for BJJ and will go to class once my foot heals. A good gym is a really positive environment to be in. BJJ is definitely a slow burn compared to KM. It’s more challenging but also more fun in that sense. Getting a joint lock or chokehold down is more fulfilling than kicking someone in the nuts (not with full power or any for that matter) and running away imo.

1 Like

The contexts are also different. Krav maga is, in a civilian class, mostly comprised of simple, gross motor movement that can be done quickly and effectively against untrained threats (which most people are). The idea is to create a situation where you can run away with minimal damage rather than win. If you’ve ever seen a women’s self-defense class, they’re basically KM classes that focus on situations women are more likely to face than men. It’s simple and quick to teach compared to other disciplines. It won’t make you an expert in any way but most of those courses end up being pretty short and KM is best if you have a limited amount of time.

BJJ involves training and competing with trained fighters. Definitely a whole different world. Pressure testing is pretty much mandatory if you want to learn anything at all given how much more complex it is. I’m looking forward to being more than a rank beginner at some point in the future.

MMA is becoming much more popular in the Czech Republic now. Pretty much every martial art can be found in Prague but no doubt MMA gyms are starting to pop up quite a bit now. I’ve seen those guys and they’re out of their mind tough. Even the ones who just participate in Oktagon MMA (the Czech MMA promotion) look like they could eat bricks for breakfast. Wonder if Jiri Prochazka’s recent success has had a role.