Diversity and Inclusion at Bon Appetit

now with more brown people. no apologies or anything.

oh… ohh… nooooo.

haha DIVERSE ETHNIC CUISINES… ohhhh noooo.

Now with more brown people is the whole point of what they needed to do!

Marcus is hugely famous. I’m excited he is there.

Ah yes because browns are like MSG, a delightful spice to use as we see fit for profit.

Marcus is awful on camera. Corny unnatural dweeb. His hosting is terribad. Thanks Obama.

Both of these takes are just awful.

Marcus is awesome.

They had a culture or racism and lack of diversity. Adding diversity wasn’t part of the solution?

I get it, but what did you expect them to do? Burn Bon Appetit HQ to the ground and murder some white chefs? C’mon, man!

1 Like

Exactly. In general they handled the whole thing about as bad as can be imagined but adding several talented PoC is so obviously part of the solution it’s truly bizarre to mock it.

I mean, I understand the problem with using token POC but obviously their response has to include adding high profile POC.

Umm mostly keep the personalities they could, pay them much more, pay them even when they’re just “accidentally” in the kitchen and used as a prop, and provide them some sort of creative control over the videos. Not find one of the ~5 rich and powerful black chefs in America and put him on fucking youtube.

The 1:2124124 like:dislike ration on the video agrees with me.

1 Like

And anyone that has seen Marcus wearing a scarf in a professional kitchen while talking over the chef he’s interviewing has had enough of him, thanks.

They didn’t do that though. They fucked that up. So what are they suppose to do now?

SELF IMMOLATION FOR STARTERS AND WE’LL GO FROM THERE!

1 Like

Their Youtube videos were kindling for their inevitable downfall. This is their first video since the implosion and is essentially their public statement to viewers.

What part of that video made you think BA understood what they did wrong? Just because they put out a video with only three brown people? Was there an apology in there I missed?

BA exploited race and labor for profit. This is just a commercial promising to do that better in the future. I look forward to their next video with Terry Crews telling us that IT’S ALL LOVE OVER THERE NOW MAN.

1 Like

You do realize one of these three random POCs is the editor in chief, right?

And if she spent some of that video explaining the many ways BA fucked up and how each wont happen again that’d have been awesome.

BA’s parent company is only competent at making money. This commercial gives me no reassurance that their future won’t be as exploitative as their past.

Sohla and Priya were essentially paid the same. Sohla is a great chef. Priya can barely cook. Both were equally held up as experts of their supposedly monolith culture, or explicitly instructed to stand around the background of other ppl’s videos (unpaid) to serve as literal props. C’mon.

I hear you, I even largely agree with you, but I just cant imagine being enraged by that video given the spectrum of reactions / actions that are possible. I am onboard with demanding more and better from them, but it sounds like you aren’t willing to give them any credit for anything.

1 Like

Wow that’s incredibly not what they needed to do.

They underpaid and mistreated their previously anonymous POC personalities. They don’t apologize for that at all and instead show they hired the most famous black chef for what surely is 100x what they needed to make if right with Sohla?

Adding diversity wasn’t part of the solution? I’m interested to hear this take.

Note, nobody is saying that is all they need to do.

They had diversity. They treated them like crap. Not aplogizing and splurge on a tv superstar who happens to be black is almost ironically bad

Posted months ago.