Discussions About Theories of International Relations Such as Realism

A post was merged into an existing topic: About Moderation (Don’t Take the Bait)

No, I’m trying to encourage you to learn more so that you can make an informed decision on whether the “offensive realist” label is right for you. (This is a partly selfish motive, as I think that doing so would make this thread less repetitive and better.)

How did you even glom onto Mearsheimer as your go-to expert for IR? Is his book the only IR book you have read?

i’m only doing it for your amusement

Right! I never said that “offensive realist” is the right label for me. YOU insisted on that:

Look if you want write about the other theories of IR and how they might relate to Ukraine I’ll happily read it. If you just want to shoehorn me into John’s pet theory and scold me for not reading about other IR theories, well, that sounds less fun. And since the answer to your question is in the quoted post, I have to question if you’re even reading what I’m writing here.

Lmfao

2 Likes

Asking if you agree with offensive realism is not the same as insisting you are an offensive realist. Wouldn’t you want me to ask if you are an offensive realist before calling you one?

Do you think the idea of Keeed learning more is laughable?

giphy

I’m not sure how you could read my answer to your question here

and think that I think that I’m an offensive realist. It’d be like reading one of Milton Friedman’s books aimed at a popular audience and saying that makes me a Chicago-school economist. Utterly ridiculous and insulting to the people who devote their professional lives to the study of these subjects.

It sounds like having read a book and watched some videos of a prominent offensive realist, you’ve found it satisfactory for explaining everything you need to know about international relations so you don’t need to know any other viewpoints (except what you may encounter through Mearsheimer’s critique of them). Is this an accurate description of how you think about IR?

No. I find Mearsheimer’s arguments compelling but I am certainly open to other points of view. And as I said reading only a single viewpoint is unfair to those other points of view because you’re just getting one side, unrebutted.

Is it fair to say that you haven’t been seeking out those other points of view to learn about them and would prefer that someone present them to you here?

Sure.

Like I think I’ve read maybe 12 books this year? Something like that. Only one has been on IR. What a disgrace!

you should listen to snyder’s yale course on the history of ukraine.

Did someone say “theory”?

1 Like

1 Like

god I’ve been waiting to drop that bomb forever

God please grant me the utter lack of accountability of an old white male political pundit from academia.

biggest double take on who wrote what i’ve ever done.

https://mobile.twitter.com/McFaul/status/1594013886701010944

:vince1:

https://mobile.twitter.com/McFaul/status/1594013885371101184

:vince:

https://mobile.twitter.com/McFaul/status/1594013891935469568

3 Likes