Democratic Primaries 2020 - With a whimper

Victor gets a lot more likes for his posts than people who yell at Victor.

Thanks. I think we have had our moments of discord and trolling, but certainly plenty of interesting discussion as well.

(This is trolling Alex a bit…Something I’ve been guilty of lately… but it’s a bit serious…and I think the default here and everywhere else online is quite ageist in the other direction so I like to push back…here goes) Maybe I manage a little better than some because I’m a real adult, not some thirty-something kid. You’re pretty old too!

1 Like

Starts around here.

1 Like

Like I’m willing to compromise and all but that’s really not what the establishment is asking for from the left. They’d like the left to shut up and take it, my way or the high way.

“We’ll nominate Biden and back his policies, but his vote total won’t be as high because the left won’t vote for him in non-competitive states” - compromise

“We’ll nominate Biden and if you don’t vote for him you’re awful” - shut up and take it.

2 Likes

They are grifters.

Trump is Sideshow Bob on a Boat.

You’re unironically doing the thing we used to deride trump supporters for. You get that, right?

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1020039128291786752

Right?

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1256961717432733696?s=20

oh dear

I’m gonna make a list of ‘clever’ Bernie Bro arguments that are counter-productive and turn off most normal people:

• Biden’s supporters are toxic so we can’t vote for him now
  • If you don’t support me, you think poor people should die
  • Mean tweets are why people don’t deserve healthcare
  • All of us are Bernie or bust, so logically you must vote Bernie if you want to win

Will add as necessary.

You know this isn’t about me right? Or do you think the majority of voters aren’t emotional?

Edited.

As long as all the ONLINE BROSE are just blowing off steam and having a laugh, and aren’t actually not voting/voting for Trump so as to give Trump four (or more) more years in control, I don’t see the harm.

If they are actually serious, which I doubt, then hmm, well, yes, that’s a problem.

To be less glib, yes only a small % of the population uses Twitter. But what about facebook, or reddit, or youtube, or other social media?

What about the fact that among people with political or societal influence, the % who use it is much larger?

Finally, no, internet shenanigans isn’t the only or the main reason Bernie lost. But it is a problem, and one as people actually posting on the internet a lot and engaging in these kinds of discussions, we have the agency to solve.

Besides that, sentiments that developed on the internet ended up being propagated by his actual campaign staff in real life.

But the debate, sometimes uncouth, also moved the Overton Window so that Joe Biden‘s espoused 2020 positions are much further left than his positions were when he announced.

When I said “most normal people,” I didn’t mean like most people in the country, I meant the normal people who run into these arguments. Maybe that’s where the misunderstanding is coming from?

I don’t know, Greenwald has 1.4m followers but a lot of those might be outside USA. Anyway my point wasn’t that people with large influences are making the arguments, it’s that they are hearing them and dismissing the people making them as unserious.

The fact that it exists here makes me think it extends to some other arenas as well.

Let’s just map this one out.

1. Bernie lost to Biden because people were turned off by the argument that

2. Biden’s supporters are toxic so Bernie’s supporters can’t vote for Biden now in the general, therefore

3. Biden’s supporters didn’t vote for Bernie in the primary, because

4. Time is not linear, Time is a flat circle.

Alex seems to be missing the “we can’t vote for Biden cause is supporters are mean” thing is a barbed joke

1 Like

2 Likes

To put it mildly.

1 Like

I get that it’s ironic yes.

Nobody believes it so it’s not just ironic. It’s purely a joke. A dumb one to be sure.