Democratic Primaries 2020 - Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Pour one out for her primary challengers political careers. Not a good idea to run against someone whose over/under to being the most powerful person in the party is 10 years. She’s also obscenely good at raising money and the best person nationally at political messaging. She won last time with no resources, this time she’s going to be a well funded incumbent.

How hilarious is it that the centrists are trying to run someone against AOC who basically raised about 6% of what the DNC did last year. Spoiler, she broke their back when she was raising basically $0 so they just want to waste her money so she will primary one less of them. In before current DNC leadership is thrown the f out.

To return to actual content, there’s a pretty good “Why millennials support Bernie in one chart” article here, and its one reason why I am like “uhhhh” to the idea that FREE COLLEGE is going to fix anything:

The percentage of Americans who are looking for a job but can’t find one is now near half-century lows. And yet, the “full employment economy” that awaits this year’s graduating class looks quite different than the one that welcomed their Gen-X and boomer predecessors. In earlier boom-times, the labor market evinced an insatiable demand for white-collar workers. Today’s, by contrast, has more aspiring professionals than it knows what to do with.

Put differently: Even as the price of a college diploma has risen nigh-exponentially (thereby forcing the rising generation of college graduates to saddle themselves with onerous debts), the value of such diplomas on the U.S. job market has rapidly depreciated. And there is little reason to believe that this state of affairs will change, no matter how long the present boom is sustained. According to the Labor Department’s estimates, the five fastest-growing occupations in the United States over the next ten years will be solar-panel installers, wind-turbine technicians, home health aides, personal care aides, and occupational therapy assistants. Not a single one of those jobs requires a four-year college diploma. Only occupational therapy assistants need an associate’s degree.

Throughout my (1990s) childhood and adolescence, leaders in both major parties heralded the arrival of a “knowledge economy,” and attributed rising income inequality to a “skills gap.” Our economic system was still capable of providing a broad middle class with high-wage, high-quality jobs; it just needed more Americans to accrue the levels of skill and education that the jobs of tomorrow required. There was an endless supply of cushy, professional-class posts awaiting those who answered our economy’s demand for highly educated workers. Economic security would come to those who did their homework.

But this story has proven to be little more than a self-flattering delusion of our (highly educated) political class. Our economy only needs so many lawyers, consultants, and financial analysts (let alone, journalists ). Nor, as presently structured, can it sustain an ever-growing caste of well-remunerated coders. We have a lot of elderly people who need help going to the bathroom, and a lot of manual labor that our robots aren’t dexterous enough to perform. Most of the work that our society truly needs to get done every day doesn’t require elite academic or intellectual capacities. And thanks to the collapse of the American labor movement, most that blue and pink-collar work pays terribly. The two occupations poised to add the most jobs to our economy over the next ten years — home and personal care aides — pay an average salary of about $24,000 a year.

I mean, is it really that the “centrists” are trying to run someone against her, or is it just some rando city councilperson with delusions of grandeur?

1 Like

At least AOC will have the complete support of the party as an incumbent, and any contractors working with this guy will be blackballed. That’s how this works, right?

2 Likes

I don’t know if you’re @'ing me or not, but it seems perfectly fine to say that people who don’t support M4A are bad, as it is perfectly fine to say JR tends to be a sack of shit whose endorsement should have passed without acknowledgement.

You seem to be very close to saying straight up that issues like transphobia and misogyny are niche concerns invented by educated liberals to satisfy their perpetual need to feel morally superior, which seems to imply that these issues aren’t worth caring about, or that nobody authentically cares about them, which is wrong.

1 Like

False equivalencyyyyy

When I go on a rant against someone on social media who is whining about getting dunked on I often use the “if you don’t want people to think you are a xyz then don’t be one.”. These people are ashamed of what they are and what they support deep down and it’s why the fall back is to claim that people are being mean to them or bullying them.

This whole Bernie Bros are mean is exactly that. If you don’t want us to think that you are a corporate sellout with no intention to do a single beneficial thing for the working class (or think that you support someone who does) then don’t. You don’t get to sell out your constituency for decades (or support politicians who do) and then whine and complain when people call you out for it.

7 Likes

I would recommend not coming out in favor of the McConnell rule and not because it’s called the McConnell rule.

Just like the caravan and sjws and campus culture, any “issue” that goes away quickly was a sham. If you fell for it, spread it or still believe it, you’re a mark. We are usually above falling for these false outrages. Let’s continue to be.

I guess I’m saying two separate things:

1. The same people who whine about being personally attacked by Bernie Bros for not supporting M4A, or having the wrong foreign policy, or whatever, are constantly doing the same to other people for violations of liberal orthodoxy. There’s an example right there in your post where you refer to Rogan as a “sack of shit”; lib types aren’t going to call you out for that, but if I go call someone a “sack of shit” for not supporting M4A, it’ll be whining about uncivil Bernie Bros and their inability to be polite to us nice liberals.

2. The extent to which even mild transgressions against liberal orthodoxy are treated as sins of the most heinous kind is ridiculous. I’m talking about things like this:

Upon accepting the Rogan’s endorsement, Sanders faced backlash on social media from those offended by the podcast’s comments on transgender people — as well as the nation’s leading LGBTQ group, the Human Rights Campaign.

Alluding to those comments, HRC’s David said in a statement Rogan has “attacked transgender people, gay men, women, people of color and countless marginalized groups at every opportunity.”

“In 2019, 25 transgender people were killed because of the type of transphobia that Rogan stokes,” David added.

Bolded is frankly absolute bullshit and is an obviously offensive charge to level at Rogan. Rogan is guilty perhaps of insensitivity and of being hurtful to trans people; that’s it. The HRC endorsed Clinton over Sanders in 2016. To repeat, Clinton is close friends with Kissinger and voted for the Iraq War. Kissinger’s actions in Vietnam and the invasion of Iraq both resulted in tens or hundreds of thousands of people killed and maimed. If you don’t think Clinton is a more morally reprehensible person than Rogan you’re a moral imbecile.

The extent to which people are cast out from the liberal “club”, as the high priests of the movement attempted to do to Rogan, has nothing to do with actual real-world harm done and everything to do with maintaining the hegemony of an educated elite. Educated liberals are confident they don’t know anybody who would be mildly transphobic like Rogan, all their friends understand the niceties of discourse well enough not to do that. Therefore, he is beyond the pale, cast him and his fans into the fires of hell. They’re less confident that they don’t know anyone who supported the Iraq War, or who is OK with the staggering level of inequality which maintains the privilege of the Ivy League elite. So can’t we be a little polite about those things? Why do these Bernie Bros have to get so mad?

I’m not saying that transphobia and misogyny aren’t genuine issues, but I am saying that the oversized importance they take on in the liberal movement is not real concern for people, but rather a fight for power within the coalition. This is what that looks like:

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1220837347542982656

This is purely and simply a resistance to reorganizing the liberal coalition in a way which includes people like Rogan and excludes people like Tanden. This reorganization is desirable because Tanden does vastly more damage to the advancement of a just and humane politics in America than Rogan ever has, or is even capable of doing. If you disagree with that sentence then we’re not on the same political team.

30 Likes

I wish I could like a post twice :+1:

1 Like

@BestOf

3 Likes

It’s not complicated, centrists like HClinton and Buttigieg constantly concern troll. They probably don’t see themselves as bad people and truthfully, how can one say who is and isn’t really a good person. That said they daily support systems like for profit healthcare which whatever philosophical bent you prefer in ideologue-land, here in the real world kill probably thousands a day in the ‘greatest country the world has ever known.’

When they go to sleep at night, they probably tell themselves they are the right side of history but this is just how things work, you have to be practical and work within the system. The truth is that great change has virtually never come from within the system unless the profit of the power depended on it, and waiting for these people to turn the boat with us is a total waste of time.

2 Likes

Your first two sentences contradict each other. It’s not trolling if you dont morally know any better.

https://mobile.twitter.com/karpmj/status/1229573228257054721

11 Likes

They do not. They concern troll because with Buttigeig for example, he will criticize paying for rich people’s college while neglecting to mention his plan doesn’t pay for poor people’s trade schools. He is aware when he makes the argument that he is arguing in poor faith. Again, I don’t think he thinks he is a bad person, he’s just a guy playing the game for the ‘ultimate good’ or whatever.

Great post, but it’s definitely millions in Vietnam (and Cambodia and Laos). Hundreds of thousands of direct deaths in Iraq (~150k killed directly from 2003-2006 and 650k excess deaths over that time (low estimate 450k from 2003-2011)) and millions of excess deaths from indirect effects.

They sleep well on giant piles of money. HRC is worth $100M. I know there’s talk about how Pete isn’t rich, but he’s just not rich yet. I guarantee if he has any future in politics he retires with at least tens of millions.

4 Likes