Dealing with Deplorable Family and Friends

Lol good point.

I’m probably a liberal version of a “both sides” guy. I consume right wing sources but it’s a lot of hate watching combined with wanting to know what the hive mind’s next attack on reality is gonna be, so I can prepare to deal with it from friends and family. It’s really exhausting.

It throws the derps in my family for a loop when I tell them I watch tucker about once a week. I know it’s probably damaging for my mind but I think I’m strong enough.

I’m winning the battle slowly with my sister though. There’s a lot in my family that are just too far gone to help so I just prepare myself against their absurdities. The latest from my aunt is that BLM and anyone who supports it is a terrorist that should be shot.

I mean like what do you even say to that?

2 Likes

I think they’re wrong. Their view is that Google “hides” the Real Truth but in fact once you start watching and liking any conspiracy theory videos the algorithms will kick in and start sorting more of that stuff to the top. If anything the search engines and all the data algorithms make it more likely that someone sees the conspiracy theory stuff.

It really is a great shield that these morons have where the can write you off and declare victory by just saying “do your own research on both sides bro”

totally and i just do this for myself. i don’t think you believe this so i’m just saying it generally but i don’t think everyone needs to listen to tucker carlson and hear both sides out and possibly get their mind poisoned, nor do i really think anyone is an idiot if they get most of their news from a liberal source (as long as its solid) like say rachel maddow. i’m not going to make these people feel bad if they are mostly checked out of the news but will occasionally read the new york times. they don’t need to waste their time watching fox and listening to rush or reading 90% of trump’s tweets like i do.

1 Like

I’d be interested to see what Red guy would say if you asked him to present the arguments of the left regarding global warming - you know, since he reads sources from all angles. Like, why do non-conservatives think global warming exists? What are the arguments that the peer reviewed grant recipients make, and what counter-arguments from Alex Jones convinced you they’re wrong?

3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/ENLIGHTENEDCENTRISM/

4 Likes

Yea of course. You don’t need to watch fox to know it’s garbage and can be ignored. I will say though, it is designed to keep you watching and in that respect it’s excellent television. I can see how people get sucked in so badly.

I mostly just want to understand what happened to my family. Friends that have fallen prey I’ve mostly nixed from my life though. Family you’re kinda stuck with.

My sister and I are polar opposites in almost every way. But when it comes to politics, and especially to Trump, we’re totally on the same page. I think its really helped our relationship a lot.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty standard right wing belief now. Not even fringe. Hell the president agrees with it.

Yea. At this point I’m starting to take it seriously and am arming myself, and have encouraged others to do the same.

I sense that people think I’m batshit paranoid but this is absolutely heading towards civil war territory. The signs are all there. The rhetoric is there. The fuse has been lit thanks to corona and the floyd murder.

All it’s gonna take is one little nudge and there’s gonna be self formed rightwing militias roaming neighborhoods hunting down “terrorists.” The police support them. The president supports them. It’s already happened in some places too, but I’m talking like a widespread thing.

I’m extremely careful what I say about my political views on facebook and other platforms like that. I encourage others to take precautions.

3 Likes

lol at you immediately defaulting to buying a gun. Both sides indeed.

I’ve thought about it a few times, but I always come to the conclusion that guns are fucked and I don’t want one.

3 Likes

Woman I used to work with posts a bunch of conspiracy crap on Insta and posted something about how Biden has been endorsed by tons of people on Epstein’s flight logs so I sent her the pictures with Jeffrey and Trump and she tells me he was there undercover for the FBI. I try to be civil and tell her she should check her sources on that and she’s like I do and then replies about how someone at the DNC raped and tortured somebody which honestly might be true but like what is the deal with these people?

1 Like

Typical whataboutism. Once they go off-topic, you won.

Yea, what exactly are you trying to say here?

I’m not going to be unarmed when armed militias come. The other side is arming themselves for a war. I live in a very red city. You can feel free to throw your platitudes at them and see how far that gets you.

1 Like

You need some firearms. Hopefully the anti nutters will be more organized when the shit hits the fan.

The real question is what will the military do when forced to intervene.

1 Like

At this point we are definitely drawing live to clips of James Woods in “The General’s Daughter” being used as propaganda. (He was an s&m masochist)

It’s also extremely pragmatic to have a rifle around for bears/critters and even humans in non civil war survival scenarios.

1 Like

Depends on where you live, no? Though that fucking squirrel screeches outside my window every morning. Productivity=wrecked.

There is a chipmunk that suns himself in front of my house in the same spot every morning making insistent chirping noises. He’s getting progressively fatter which I assume is winter prep. Here’s a photo from a few days ago, I’ve named him Chirpy.

If you zoom in you can see how spherical he’s getting.

6 Likes