Dealing with Deplorable Family and Friends

I don’t say that flippantly. Where I live there is a moms page that absolutely everyone uses. There is tons of useful information on there and its a great way to stay in touch with whats going on at school, with local kids sports, and a million other things. People look at us like we have a third eye when we tell them we don’t have Facebook. The company is so damn evil I’m willing to deal with it.

4 Likes

Preach

20ish person zoom call for work. We all got free tshirts because this is what you do in giant companies and the one deplorable says “Grue did you get one for your cat?” and I say “Yeah but it doesn’t fit him since he lost about 7 lbs due to the cancer”.

1 Like

Ah facebook, where your 77 year old former high school surf coach and old next door neighbor makes racist posts in between asking for money for his medical issues and orphans from tijuana while also relentlessly spamming his completely worthless collection of surf and skate memorabilia that he kept all this time thinking it would be worth something but its all he has left in his miserable lonely life

I’d say report it but you’ll just get a notification 3-6 months later that it does not violate their community standards.

Btw whats with facebook algorithm showing me friends making the absolute dumbest fucking comments in random news articles? Its like these people don’t know facebook shows these quotes to their friends to get them to read the article.

Anyways the reason I say this is it happened a few weeks ago with an article about Gavin Newsom and schools, and the photo they used as a thumbnail to the article was him in classroom similar to this photo

and my friends comment was something like “Where is the mask HUH Newsom?!?”

and it took every ounce of energy for me to not respond with “THIS IS A PHOTO FROM LAST YEAR. SCHOOLS AREN’T EVEN CURRENTLY IN SESSION IT IS JULY YOU FUCKING MORON”

3 Likes

Delete Facebook.

4 Likes

I reported the guy I talked about in the other facebook thread, a dallas police officer making “well actually this is why black people deserve to get shot posts” from his facebook account with a
his name backwards like “nivaG mosweN” so i dunno I guess people can’t find him, and got a reply back right away that none of it violated their standards.

But then how will I get news and comments from my close personal friends, Sergei Smith from Columbus, Ohio and Olga Johnson from Decatur, Illinois. I met then on Facebook!

2 Likes

Cant delete facebook because ive registered with a lot of sites via fb registration. Deleting my account would cause me to lose access to those accounts permanently.

Thanks zuck, pretty devious

I always get my notifications months later when I can barely remember the post I reported. They never show you the offending post in their reply either.

I have been warned numerous times for calling people morons yet I have reported numerous slurs and every time get the auto response “that post did not violate our community standards” several months later.

Really enjoyed the latest podcast episode of On the Media. They discussed irresponsible journalism. The guest said that while a journalist has to choose the most salient facts to highlight, if a journalist chooses to focus on outlier events that give a skewed perception of the entire story, they’re being irresponsible.

I first began thinking of stories where what seems to be an outlier event might actually be the defining fact of the story, but it didn’t take me much longer to counter with all of the obvious examples where outlier events have taken so much focus that the story as presented becomes propaganda or an outright lie. And yet it becomes stupidly hard to argue against because it FEELS true. Liberals shout at conservatives that facts have to matter, and now conservatives yell back that if facts mattered, liberals wouldn’t dismiss this fact-based story.

That got me to think back to a concept another poster previously discussed: proportional relevance.

Conservative conspiracy theorists (conservatives for short) assume that everything is a shell game secretly containing liberal propaganda. I believe this is the fundamental belief that flips their proportional relevance mental dichotomy. Consensus suddenly makes them suspicious. Why does virtually everyone agree that vaccines are safe? Climate change is real? Russia interfered in the 2016 election?

But for the conspiracy theorist, all of the facts that lead to that consensus are confusing. They just don’t make sense. They keep coming across parts that MAKE YOU THINK. There’s no way everyone else gets it in a way they don’t. For there to be this much consensus over something so confusing/false, there must be a network at play designed make people repeat falsehoods as facts.

Thus they look at consensus as an obvious shell game. The outlier events are not outlier events at all. They are the true facts peeking through the liberal shell. If only we could defeat liberal propaganda, the shell would disappear and we’d see the outlier events have been happening around us all along.

5 Likes

The internet and particularly wikipedia/youtube has made uneducated people believe they can become experts in any subject in 15 minutes. What they don’t realize is, for advanced topics that typically require some schooling, like economics or math or physics, is that each sentence in the wikipedia entries for those topics could be their own textbook if expanded upon. There is such a mountain of knowledge that is not available on the internet - or at the very least, not quickly available. The worst thing the internet ever did was convince us that it was a compendium of human knowledge.

40 years ago, no one would ever read an encyclopedia and assume that was all there was to learn about a topic. Now we assume this.

10 Likes

Tell me what can be verified VS Tell me what can be falsified

You can find a shred of evidence to support almost anything, but if you can’t falsify something, it’s much easier to see the claim might be nonsense

Or to the Amazon example, Is there anything I might want to buy VS Should I be Shopping at all Today

2 Likes

Yea it’s weird. I look shit up on Google/Wikipedia probably 5x a day but in no way do I think I’m an expert in what I’m looking up. That’s why I look it up.

Yet Karen over here is convinced 5G is spying on her and that global warming is a myth.

1 Like

dO tHe ReSeArCh

3 Likes

Haha yea, the morons on Facebook always start their posts with crap like “I’ve done my research, and…”

1 Like

I don’t think Wikipedia is to blame here. I doubt people go on there about complicated topics and come out thinking they are experts.

Youtube absolutely is to blame, but even they are miles behind the runaway leader for this: Facebook.

5 Likes

man I get in arguments with idiots every day that cite wikipedia

1 Like

This is really surprising to me. What kind of arguments?

1 Like