Daily Fantasy Sports, Draftkings/etc

In its simplest form, DFS is an integer programming problem. Let’s say you have accurate mean or median projections for fantasy points scored for the upcoming slate. You also have the salaries, position requirements, and salary cap constraints. So in the theory there’s an (perhaps multiple) optimal lineup you could choose that maximizes the projected points subject to those constraints. An efficient IP algorithm will find those solutions quickly. You can incorporate additional constraints of your own design to add things like stacking, remove things like striker vs. GK, etc.

In it’s not_simplest form, it’s a very complicated linear programming problem for which a suitable set of algorithms are not widely available. An operations management professor who is a leading expert in such optimization algorithms wrote one and started winning some huge DFS contests last year. Former poker / dfs bros without college degrees thought he was just some random idiot because in their world, they are the smartest people alive so no person would be capable of designing something they lack the knowledge to understand. Sort of like Flatlanders only more delusional.

1 Like

In their defense, he sounds like a moron when he talks about dfs (clearly on purpose but that pod with bric75 was funny as hell if you watched it)

Seems intentional on his part. If you look at his vita or any of his actual work it’s immediately clear that he’s not an idiot and is, in fact, an expert specifically working on cutting edge algorithms of this sort.

*For reference, I’m also a huge fan of Bubb Rubb and always have been. Whistles go wooo wooo!

All true. Counterpoint:

1 Like

Let’s take it all the way back:

Speaking of sounding dumb - whats vita?

Basically a fancy academic word for resume: vita, curriculum vitae, or CV.

Bubb Rubb from Oakland is a LAKERS FAN. I wonder if @goofyballer knows about this.

1 Like

I was right, i did sound dumb. Check his appearance on lolz which is a dumb dfs pod. Bric75 tried to grill him on his process and it was pretty unintentionally funny.

I already saw it. The problem is bric75 doesn’t really know what he’s talking about and is basically just asking this guy to give all of the secrets away, which obv he isn’t going to do.

There were some obvious difference in expectations from the interview which made it funny to me.
I dunno if bric doesn’t know what he’s talking about in general but i don’t have any real way to judge it

He’s the kind of person I’m talking about here. Going into the interview he was convinced this guy was an idiot. If you just look this dude up using public information, you can see he has a [checks notes] PhD in algorithms from Carnegie Mellon and has published in some of the top journals for his field. He’s already tenured at a good R1 institution and makes $200k+ academic salary. That doesn’t include all of the side venture stuff he was talking about. He even wrote an unpublished paper that’s hosted somewhere that outlines the exact type of optimization problem required for an elegant dfs solution. That’s basically all invisible to neckbeard poker pros who didn’t graduate college and get angry enough to start yelling at guests about “regulation” and “nanny state” on their Yootoobz channel.

It isn’t really that different from the 2006 poker “pros” who thought Bill Chen’s book was fake or didn’t apply to poker (or something).

Probably not. There’s an entire cottage industry of overpriced premium subscriptions for dfs. That’s pretty much what it is now in 2021. A lot of the sites have 7-day free trials though if you want to test one out–just remember to cancel before it charges your card. For example, SaberSim has EPL and a 7-day trial.

That’s correct.

are you getting up to check the actual lineups an hour before the game starts? don’t be drawing dead, make sure everyone is starting in the role you projected.

i used sofascore.com for formations in the few times i played soccer dfs

1 Like

Fwiw I would be mostly into guys from City, Newcastle and one side of Leeds/Everton. Leeds games have higher pace than anyone else and are very open.

Norwich actually performed quite well vs Pool last week, guys like Cantwell and Aarons might be worth a single lineup punt.

Villa were absolutely trash defensively last week and have a bunch of new injuries as well.
Newcastle @4.2 is very tempting.

@Lawnmower_Man

The whistle is about to go woo again