Crazy Religious Shit

Care to elaborate?

That’s very true. Basically all religion at it’s core is a very simple philosophical idea - treat others as you would like to be treated. Various religions just give reasons why that doesn’t apply to those c****.

There are many worthwhile lessons, parables if you will, that don’t require someone to drink crazy koolaid to benefit from. It’s like you’ve never heard of a lapsed catholic.

Wow, you’ve really had people guessing. Congrats. But you finally gave yourself away.

I thought they already did that.

The real question not being asked is how much crazy religious shit will always exist in the world.

It’s odd to me that people ascribe so much power and blame to these institutions while simultaneously positing that their utility has expired.

those two aren’t mutually exclusive - it’s completely consistent and true that these institutions hold immense power and that we also don’t need them anymore.

they are dying, very slowly. the younger generation has almost no interest in religion. i think 20-30 years from now the landscape will look much different:

found in the wild posted unironically:

You think when poc become the majority of this country that religion will die? I find that hard to believe. That just seems like the same utopian carrot that the current religious controllers dangle in perpetuity.

the stats are already there - church demographics are skewing older and older and attendance is down (although I think it did see a small uptick during covid). polling indicates a tiny minority of people under 35 have any interest in organized religion and that trend doesn’t seem likely to stop.

the problem with being a church in the information age is you gotta fight a lot harder and in a lot different ways to retain members and the church is known for a lot of things but adapting to change is not one of them.

Treat others as god’s children, and burn the unbelievers.

Or yourself, if Buddhist.

“Treat others the way you want to be treated” is solipsistic nonsense. It’s the moral system that makes the most sense until you spend at least 5 minutes thinking about it.

Eh, I think it’s fine as the basis for an ideal society, a starting point you try to get everybody in line with. But with the knowledge that some people are assholes/sociopaths and absolutely will not do this (and actively take advantage of those that do), which is why you have, like, laws and stuff.

My layman prediction is when black Americans and Hispanics become the majority you will see some form of upgraded religion take root.

I see Hip Hop as an unofficial religion of sorts. I’m not sure I could think of a more powerful ideological force in the world since the 70’s.* At it’s core it is essentially making something new out of something old.

You could make a pretty strong argument that raising a family is the most hip hop thing you could do.

ETA: *besides the US military

“Brianwash are kids”

Genuinely can’t tell if that’s a troll or real. Both would be believable.

1 Like

it was a repost of this tweet - I believe the original poster was a troll, but the repost was definitely sincere. this group i snuck into nukes anyone who doesn’t seem like a true believer. these flat earth groups are a gold mine for religious hilariousness.

1 Like

Ahh ok that makes a lot of sense. So it was both a troll and real all in one.

poe’s law has been stretched to its absolute breaking point the last few years.

that tweet though could honestly be sincere. Religious people have a weird tendency to place enormous significance on linguistic coincidences for some reason.

I remember in my one brief stint being into theology (i spent 13 years being forced to study the bible but was briefly interested) i ran into a problem with the anti-drug sermons delivered by my youth pastors. the bible says plenty about being a drunkard but makes little to no references about cannabis (which wouldve been around at the time) or any other drugs of that time. I asked what the biblical basis was, and I believe this is still commonly taught in theology schools that are linked to my old church -

they told me that basically the bible doesnt say drug use is a sin, but it mentions in numerous places that witchcraft is, but only in the new testament - the greek word for witchcraft is “pharmakea” which looks like pharmacy, right? what do you get at a pharmacy? drugs. chessmate.

that’s the kind of mental gymnastics based on flimsy shit like that that’s quite common in religious thinking. it fucked me up bad as a kid.

1 Like