COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

The conspiracy nuts are going to stroke out at this development.

Well at least they’ll have more of a chance of a bed when they do.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, totally agree. The original sin of government response to Covid, going all the way back to March 2020, is to become aware that it’s happening and then spend every day designing solutions to yesterday’s situation, while exponential growth is happening. You can’t act linearly in an exponential world.

5 Likes

i had a family function. out of seven people three turned out to be unvaccinated. the other people (including me) are all boosted, but were recently flying. it’s going to be a nightmarish sweat if they get sick

Small wonder, since booster doses have come later in Norway compared to the US - we’ve been kinda slow, though gearing up significantly in the latter weeks. I’m 46, received my 2nd dose at the end of august and will receive a booster as soon as 20 weeks have passed (lower limit for booster doses as per goverment regulations right now). At the time of the infamous party no one below 65 had received a booster.

1 Like

I don’t understand. How are we going to pay for that? It’s simply not possible.

They should partner with Amazon. That company is fucking good at what it does.

They would probably do it just for the brand cleansing benefits.

4 Likes

One test is not worth much though. FDA needs to approve all tests that are approved in Europe to expand capacity, then give them out like condoms in a college dorm.

2 Likes

CDC considering reducing the recommended solation period for a positive test for COVID to under 10 days for vaccinated breakthrough cases per Fauci. Change being considered largely to get healthcare workers back to work faster after a postiive test.

2 Likes

The New York Times reported in August that workers at an Abbott factory in Maine were told to throw out millions of kit components as sales dropped due to a decline in demand driven by falling Covid cases throughout June and July.

Koval said Abbott didn’t destroy any finished BinaxNOW testing supplies, saying test components that have been in short supply during the pandemic. Abbott is now making 50 million tests a month with production expected to increase to 70 million in January, Koval said.

What in the actual fuck? The company was so fucking shortsighted it didn’t see any possibility of an increase in demand? Christ.

It’d be cool for the Biden administration to avoid rewarding the practices of (and giving a PR win to) a company that relies on exploiting underpaid labor to achieve customer’s unrealistic-but-now-normalized expectations of delivery timelines but that’s probably a pipe dream.

Well that pretty much rules out all American companies.

5 Likes

lol fair. Even if it’s less cost-efficient than Amazon, I’d rather the military be used for logistics.

1. no money going to companies like Amazon
  2. maybe the funding can come out of the military’s budget so we spend less on bombs and stuff

It’s a double-win!

2 Likes

Ah shit I didn’t realize I had logged out of my sweetsummerchild gimmick

3 Likes

You mean we can take money from the military for domestic welfare purposes?

20 hours past Moderna booster (moderna 2x vaxxed). Feel mostly ok. Dose 2 knocked me out of commission for ~18 hours.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1473318224204910593

Maybe this is why the cruise stonks have been mooning.