COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

I think verifying new variant lags a fair bit, but:

https://twitter.com/nicd_sa/status/1466076126435057673

Edit: You can see a breakdown of their sequencing here (PDF link):

Cliffs: That 74% figure is for the whole of November. For Gauteng specifically it was at ~90% of sequences a fortnight ago and is currently at ~100% of sequences gleaned last week (much lower number). I’m unsure if there’s any selection bias going on (potential omicron canditates can be picked up prior via PCR test).

You can also see it being picked up in other regions (Western Cape being the most tested) as the month wears on. A lot less testing in these other regions though (as to be fair are cases).

3 Likes

Speaking to the Guardian from his home in Israel, where he is self-isolating, Maor also said he had probably infected a 69-year-old colleague with the virus after flying back from London. The colleague has since tested positive for the Omicron variant.

While he cannot be certain how or when he became infected, Maor, who had received three doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, is convinced it occurred in the UK. “I got the Omicron in London, for sure,” he said. “That is interesting because that was 10 days ago in London – really, really early.”

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1466076797670363140?s=21

Whole thread is interesting.

2 Likes

You mean Reunion, Ascension is UK.

1 Like

Doctors gobsmacked by air filter’s effect on Covid

A team of doctors and scientists have found that a standard, off-the-shelf air filter was able to remove most airborne virus particles such as coronavirus on an intensive care ward.

Watch how they did it here:

2 Likes

It has arrived…

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1466116413110771712

3 Likes

US found it

Omicron detected in the US

A snap from Reuters reports that Omicron has been detected in the US state of California.

For days, U.S. health officials have said the new variant -first detected in South Africa and announced on Nov. 25 - was likely already in the United States as dozens of other countries also detected its arrival.

This seems curiously contrary to the reports it would take another week to get confirmation.

1 Like

Still awating a confirmed US case, 9 days to ‘detect’ it not bad though.

US ‘Confirmed’ likely to be another ‘few’ days

The only point I made (til you twisted it) was that S-drop out to confirmed doesn’t usually take 7 days but this guy knew it would, before the samples were collected

Nothing burger though

Do we reckon that guy from the 11/22 been running round California for a week or more with it?

So weird, the individual tested positive on November 29th and it was sequenced on December 1st. I was absolutely assured that the US was incapable of sequencing within 7 days.

seems like ‘dozens’ of ROW countries made you guys find a faster way. Congrats, it’s a big club you’re joining. North Korea and Uzbekistan next to find it.

So we’re gonna do this again huh? Cool, cool, cool

9 Likes

Dude, not even 24 hrs ago you claimed:

This is two days after the tweet you’re now acknowledging shows that American scientists were on top of the S-gene drop out right away.

LA Public Health Labs put out confirmation faster than your timeline when you claimed the lab was not even open yet.

And I stand by that post at the time it was made.

I’m happy to let them take pride in their patriotism. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that. Most likely a weekend or thanksgiving delay.

Lol at calling anyone here “patriotic.” We just don’t like virus misinformation.

1 Like

It was responding to my post and me too. This isnt the first variant that was found, and we still dont really know whether this is a panic situation, although my gut says this one will have some impact based on everything we do know. My pessimism is largely just around my opinion we were gonna get crushed by delta this winter anyways, so any chance of making that worse is v bad.

It’s already confirmed.

Looks like it didn’t take 7 days.

Have you tried reading the article?

but why is this bad news for biden?

There’s no real info yet, other than 11/22 and double vaxxed?

Did he / she visit a church and then go for a KFC?

Make it stop.

1 Like