COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

https://twitter.com/emilyctamkin/status/1478495381457616899?t=5JU_-z_2hKrF0z0jvu0PtA&s=19

Lmaooo

Just don’t test and you can go free. Test and you potentially have to start all over again. I wonder what most people will do?

2 Likes

For anyone who has had covid, do the symptoms peak or come and go? I may have it (boosted). Yesterday wqs chills, yesterday getting into bed I had a little nausea, got a fever by noon, and am feeling close to the best I’ve been since the first symptom.

1 Like

fevers definitely come and go.

2 Likes

Mine was one after the other then it went away like a snap of a finger.

2 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

It seems like bullshit. The ratio of synonymous to non-synonymous mutations, especially in the spike, is weird for sure. But nobody, including this article, is suggesting that Omicron was genetically engineered, it’s way too novel for that, you can’t just engineer 33 mutations into a protein and expect it to work.

He mentions the evidence that Omicron evolved in mice, this paper makes a persuasive case for this, I am personally convinced:

But then when we get to his suggestion of what he thinks happened, it’s “serial passage with various convalescent/vaccinated sera” followed by testing in transgenic mice. There are two big problems with this:

• He’s making a lot of fuss about the s/ns ratio, but then his explanation is just “it must have been in a highly selective environment”, with serial passage his suggestion. But that “highly selective environment” could instead just be created by the shift into a new species. That’s the contention of the mouse theory. “Over-representation of nonsynonymous mutations in Omicron ORF S suggests strong positive selection” is the headline of an entire section in the paper above.

• That theory is at odds with the evidence presented in the above paper for the mouse theory. In other words he’s accepting the conclusion and being like “well labs have mice, makes sense” but then going on to contradict the reasoning they used to get to that conclusion.

2 Likes

If anyone is interested in filing a frivolous revenge suit against some nutbag assholes in the burbs, I happen to have a wish left on my monkeys paw which you are free to use to that end

1 Like

My doctor friend, who works in an ER in the area and was pretty laid back/optimistic all year about this when I asked about the healthcare system, wrote today to tell me we are all fucked and the system is already collapsed here. He’s treating non COVID cases he has absolutely no business treating. Should be a real treat in a week or two

4 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think it’s pretty asymmetric, especially if they have no realistic countersuit. There’s something particular about Ohio making it very hard to recoup attorneys fees from the other party, so not really at risk of losing and having to pay their attorneys fees. Even in my family members case, when the original suit was ridiculous, and countersuit was successful, family members counsel said it was pointless to try for attorneys fees because of some particular point that I don’t remember. On it’s face this doesn’t seem like a frivolous suit at all to me, but again IANAL. I’d also pitch in to a gofundme.

I’m getting into lol law territory but I might as well share some of the story of the particular rich asshole who sued my family member. I went down a rabbit hole reading most of their publicly available legal history after the saga my family member got embroiled in. This person fought his divorce all the way to the Ohio Supreme Court, losing all the way. Then he and his company sued his wife in federal court. That may still be ongoing, I haven’t checked in awhile. I think his divorce was in 2013 or something, and as of a year or so ago when I last looked into it, they were still battling it out in court. He also sued his original divorce attorney.

He also sued his ~90 year old mom and his siblings over the mismanagement of his inheritance. He wanted to sell a bunch of farm ground but didn’t have control, his siblings who did have control didn’t want to sell the farm ground. After the mom and siblings spent >$200k in legal fees, they cried uncle and gave him his portion. One other brother had also just stayed completely out of the whole thing, so they gave the asshole and this other brother a farm to share as their inheritance.

The asshole then sued this other brother and my family member when the brother rented the farm they now co-owned, to my family member because there was no plan to rent it to anyone else or sell it. He lost both suits and appeals against brother and family member, and lost countersuit and appeal to family member. It did convince brother to sell the farm and get the fuck out of business with the asshole.

As far as I can tell, the guy must have enough money that he doesn’t care about losing as long as he makes you spend the max fighting him, or he eventually makes you cry uncle from legal fees.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s someone else, but I remember the story of this guy giving his girlfriend a 5x Pfizer dosage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/qwz3gt/tifu_by_injecting_my_girlfriend_with_five_doses/

https://twitter.com/ChrisGNardi/status/1478354095555727361?t=6m3dSAXgKFUHuhq6TAkIQg&s=19

Yep had to find a pcr test now for the weekend, a real treat. Can get one for $80 on Sunday, guess I’m fortunate because those will be gone soon, this site was a Thursday availability 8 hours ago.

Schools ngmi.

All the LOL LAW stuff makes complete sense when you view the law not as a source of justice but as a tool for (very) rich people. Like don’t even engage in all the stupid Lawbro shit about jurisdiction and venue and balancing tests and attorney client privilege and the rules of evidence. Just see it for what it is, a bunch of assholes in robes protecting assholes with money.

8 Likes

This makes 0 sense.

That is exactly what the substack crank is alleging:

And where is all the natural variation in between? Why is it not like the other variants, nested in that natural-looking spreading set of gradually mutating descendants?

One parsimonious hypothesis is that some engineering has been done to it, in order to make its evolution look so unnatural. I have not heard another parsimonious hypothesis.

1 Like

One of the medical exemptions to get into Australia is having had Covid in the last 6 months and being able to prove that which is the most likely reason Novak got the exemption. The exemption process is run by an independent medical board and they get their information without names so it would have been difficult to give it to Novak while denying it to most other players and staff that requested it. It would be a massive scandal for the Victorian government if someone can prove Novak got preferential treatment.

Given his loose terminology I’m not sure he doesn’t just mean something like serial passage by “engineering”, but yeah maybe. His abuse of “parsimonious” throughout the piece is annoying.

Older kids school not opening due to too much COVID. So, good try, got one day of school
for one kid this month.

Yea I’ve mentioned this before but the weed stores I’ve been to are the most strict of anywhere about all the covid compliance measures. Like if you came to the store with your wife they would still make her stand 6 ft away from you in line. Every employee is masked properly the whole time, etc.