COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

To expand on this my personal feeling (i.e., I don’t really have any evidence, so all the evidence-based medicine nits can stand down) is that if I could choose to have only one of the following:

1. Mild COVID (i.e. nowhere near hospitalization) and the average amount of immunity conferred to someone my age that results from the infection.

2. Pfizer or Moderna vaccine and the average amount of immunity conferred to someone my age from that.

I would pick #1. Obviously, there is no reason to choose, so if I actually had #1, I would absolutely get the vaccine. Also there is no way to ensure that you get mild COVID, so there is no realistic way to choose #1. But in the hypothetical scenario where I could choose only one of the two, I’d pick #1.

Even CR has reported over 1,000 reinfections to date - not so rare 12 months on

Reinfections are not a problem if you don’t get very sick (obviously you can still spread, but that’s a different matter…appealing to that argument is not going to help bob’s mom). I think the reason why the reinfected people don’t get as sick is that whatever immunity the first infection gave is helping them.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean if the prior infection is more than 6 months old then that may not protect against covid, let alone the new variants and a jab is always the best option.

Depends on the state I guess…

I’m just not sure we know how long it lasts and how much. As I mentioned earlier, people with SARS 1.0 still got COVID but they did better than average the COVID patient. And that was a very long time ago.

Well, a pre-infection with covid generates a larger antibody response than 2 doses of any vaccines the UK have used, so there is that (hence vaccines 2.0 coming soon)

(Not directed at Melk)… For the avoidance of doubt, still get the vaccine FFS, even if you’ve had (old) covid

making progress

What percentage of Manhattanites do you figure are anti-vax? I’d assume less than 20%.

Out of 1.6M who have been infected in the CR that’s a vanishingly small number.

true anti-vaxxers have to be a pretty small portion of the population. here’s a more detailed look at vaccine rates in new york. in manhattan, the predominantly latino and black neighborhoods of upper manhattan are showing more hesitancy. but those numbers have still been going up, and i hope they will continue to go up as vaccines become easier to access (no appointments) and people become more comfortable as they see that their acquaintances who have gotten it have good outcomes.

manhattan detail

My original appointment for shot #2 was Thursday, which was scheduled when I got the first shot, and I moved it up to Monday on the Walgreens website. I wasn’t able to try to change the date until three weeks after my first shot and I could only access slots for the next day.

1 Like

Yes, exactly this! I got up from the couch and immediately went into compulsive shivering. Really makes it hard to piss and brush your teeth when your hands won’t stop shaking. It was very strange.

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1383884442058465287

3 Likes

Can’t abolish all prisons yet

Read today that there 4.7 million people waiting for a treatment in the UK. 400k are on the list for over a year. In February last year it were only 1613 who were waiting for over a year. It will take quite some time get all of them done.

At some point will have to add a death toll that was caused by Covid disrupting the normal treatment schedule and people not getting the necessary care early enough.

Seems likely to stabilize post COVID but shrink very slowly going forward. Another legacy of letting the virus run wild.

This represents .06 percent of reported infections and .009 percent of the population. Lol “not so rare.” Chuuuurrrrrccccchhhhiiiiiilllllll.

2 Likes

He’s still trying to scaremonger that TEH VARIANCE, by virtue of having some CHANGES in their genome compared to the original Wuhan strain, could magically defy everything anyone knows about germ theory and get transmitted by vaccinated people at an appreciable rate.

4 Likes

The annoying bit is that it’s always possible that something could change, but we have some great data that suggests the vaccines are holding up against variants spectacularly well at this point.

3 Likes