COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Except my weekly actuarial table risk is like 200 times higher than that. And I doubled my chance of catching covid from the base per capita rate and there’s no way my base mortality rate is 3% at my age and health. So it is a minuscule risk.

pretty amazing that people in this forum are engaging with keed on this

5 Likes

I don’t mind some of your takes, but this one sent my lawnmower to Jupiter. It’s not theatre to help immune-compromised children feel like the world is invested in keeping them safe. A five-year-old shouldn’t have to wonder if I’m vaccinated or if I’m a deplorable who values my own imaginary discomfort over the lives of others. And that same five-year-old shouldn’t have to wonder if my vaccine was actually effective or one of the unlucky 5-6% that leaves me to kill them.

These takes explode my brain. Wearing a mask isn’t even hard. I’m convinced that anyone believing it’s a huge inconvenience has just been propagandized by the right’s nonsense machine. I don’t even notice mine unless I’m literally running somewhere.

14 Likes

100% with you.

This is known as “Covid’s Razor.”

2 Likes

I largely agree with all of this. But if you’re wearing a mask to send a signal to someone rather than to protect against the spread of the virus, it seems fair to call it theater.

1 Like

Signaling is prevalent human behavior.

2 Likes

It’s not purely signaling unless our vaccines are 100%, though. And I’m not only talking about physical safety.

3 Likes

He was on Chris Hayes podcast yesterday.

Does anyone have a rec for a comfortable mask to wear for a long poker session? I don’t really care about effectiveness because I’ll be fully vaxxed and am low risk both to myself and others if I were to still poz and become contagious.

nerd

The only thing that has changed for me since getting vaccinated is that I have less anxiety about covid.

But that one thing is pretty damn big. My mental health definitely improved after getting the vaccine.

8 Likes

Surgical masks are always going to be the most breathable versus cotton or n95’s. Bonus points for them also being more effective then cotton masks.

I saw that too online today, and ESPN is theming their baseball coverage with Star Wars. Has this been a thing for years and I’ve just missed it?

1 Like

Yes.

I agree that surgical make are very comfortable, and that’s what I’ll usually wear. This mask from REI is super comfortable too, especially if you don’t insert the filter. (since I got vaccinated I’ve not inserted the filter)

https://www.rei.com/product/183360/outdoor-research-essential-face-mask-kit

2 Likes

Austria tests every student and teacher every other day. Adults also get tested regularly because you need a recent negative test for going to a hairdresser for example. A deep analysis of that data should give us an idea how severely the virus spreads in schools.

1 Like

5 Likes

My saying is

You spend the first year trying to get them to walk and talk. After that you want them to sit down and shut up.

1 Like

Except masks aren’t a political symbol. They aren’t something worn for reassurance or for signaling or anything like that. They’re either a necessary public health intervention or not. If my city or state mandates masks as a necessary public health intervention, I’ll wear them. But at 7 cases per day per 100,000 in my county and 8 per 100,000 in my state, there isn’t a public health emergency. And being vaccinated makes wearing a mask at least ten time less compelling. The risk to and from me is miniscule, masked or not. If the risk rises and cases spike, I’ll accept any mask mandate as it is plausible there is a legitimate public health risk. With these case numbers, no, that’s not plausible, there’s no mask mandate, and I’ll not wear a mask just on the off chance it might make someone feel better.