COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Takeaway 1: With sufficient precautions, in-person schooling is safe.
Takeaway 2: Yes, but it’s a lot of precautions and most schools aren’t utilizing that many.

Hard for me to take it that way when the paper is strong evidence that real-world applications of schooling during covid were associated with spread. It’s very doubtful you’re going to be able to suddenly add and enforce those policies nationwide.

I don’t see why you think it would be tough. Many schools were already doing 7 or more, just the wrong 7. We can chill a bit on the deep cleaning, stop closing playgrounds and cafeterias for instance, and instead focus on things like cancelling extra curriculars, no parents inside at drop-off, opening windows.

Plus now we have vaccines. This is great news, imo.

::gestures at the entirety of red state America::

1 Like

I dont think canceling extra-curriculars is really in the cards in most of America.

Of course in person schooling is gonna spread more disease around. This is common sense.

Only real argument is whether the increased chance that kids are gonna get sick and kill off some of their parents and grandparents is worth the squeeze of making them dumber by shutting down schools. This is not as clear, imo.

And yet we’ve been argle-bargling about it ITT for a year.

We are already at a mean of 6.7, even with the red states.

It isn’t though. That’s the whole point of this discussion. 7 (of the right) mitigation protocols reduces spread to the same rate observed in online cohorts.

You say that, but it was a big point of contention in this thread for months.

And there’s no reason to believe that will suddenly increase. Fatigue set in a long time ago.

Are we just assuming India is massively undercounting cases/deaths? You guys are saying the US likely wouldn’t have gone full India, but aren’t their numbers very similar to the US winter peak right now? (They aren’t anywhere near as bad on a per capita basis) Or do you just mean the US couldn’t have had as bad of spring wave because so many people here already had it and probably have some level of immunity?

The mask mandate expired here on the 1st. A lot of people are still wearing masks at the grocery store but I also noticed a lot of goatees replaced masks at the grocery stores here. Depressing.

1 Like

sigh of course people want to answer this. Studies with constant monitoring have been done but that leads to the tricky problem of whether those populations are representative of normal schools.

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. We don’t need it to increase! 6.7 is pretty much good enough. What we’re doing is enough. We just have to ditch the ineffective protocols (like closing playgrounds) and replace them with the effective ones (daily symptom monitoring, etc). The effective ones are even easier to accomplish than the ineffective ones in many cases.

1 Like

You are taking crazy pills if you think high school sports will be cancelled (most effective thing at decreasing tests), there’d be adherence to symptom screens in Tennessee, class sizes will be massively altered, etc. People are over covid.

The study demonstrates in person school when people cared about covid more spread covid. The idea that we’ll suddenly be able to increase compliance with various measures is hopeful at best.

I dunno man. I feel like you are responding with your emotions and not looking at the data. We are already, on average, implementing enough protocols. We just aren’t using the right ones.

It’s fine if some districts don’t cancel sports. It’s dumb, but it’s OK. We only need 7. Even the worst state in the country was doing 4.6. We can do this.

1 Like

So if I’m coming from emotion, can you show me any data that you’ll be able to enforce things like a high school sports ban? Because even blue states like Michigan and California are playing high school sports. Show me what data you’re working from.

On top of that, even if you get to an average compliance of 7, tons of schools will still be spreading covid. It’s not close.

Can you show any data that amount of compliance could be widely implemented?

It’s already widely implemented. ??

Not enough, and schools were clearly associated with covid spread, even among pre-K students. You’re wildly misunderstanding the paper.