COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

The U.S. sucks at a ton these days, but vaccine distribution is not one of those things.

3 Likes

Iā€™m 48, got whalloped. Wife is a year older, was even worse. Our 16 year old had definite side effects, but not as severe as ours. Made me consider the possibility that we were all asymptomatic carriers at some point.

1 Like

Deaths are not going to be that high. THe highest-risk populations have decent vaccine uptake. Covid is just going to be like the deadliest flu season weā€™ve ever had times two, but like every year from now until evolutionary pressures do their thing.

The obvious answer is to just pay people to get vaccinated. $1,000 per shot, $2,000 if you take a one-shot vaccine. I mean hell we just gave it away as stimulus, this can be stimulus part 2 that also helps with covid directly. Call it a tax break to pretend to be bipartisan or some shit.

10 Likes

I have faith in the MRNA science and our improving ability over time to quickly reformulate the mrna vaccines to handle variants as they pop up.

I need to change my vote to less than two minutes since 2nd shot.

No side effects yet. (Jinxing myself).

15 Likes

Side effects are a good thing.

4 Likes

Yeah, me getting worse side effects on the first shot made me think Iā€™ve maybe already had it. Well, that and a quarter of the people where I work getting covid diagnoses.

1 Like

I had super-mild ones a few hours after the second shot but they really hit their peak the next day.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping. Plane ride back home this afternoon.

Shot 2 just in time. First granddaughter born last night (3rd grandchild). Should be set for a May visit. All doing well.

23 Likes

Poll status changed to received 2nd shot as of 10 minutes ago. Waiting for uplink to cloud

11 Likes

This seems right to me. Once everyone who wants a vaccine gets it and weā€™re fully OFB, why wouldnā€™t we expect the virus to just burn itself out among the unvaccinated until we get to herd immunity?

1 Like

I love this argument people use to be against enforcing vaccinations. Itā€™s so dumb.

I think theyā€™ll storm the Supreme Court and take a few lecterns.

Youā€™re in danger.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see any reason to think Covid is mutating faster than the Spanish Flu in 1918, and that went away after a couple of years w/o any vaccine. By everything Iā€™ve read covid seems to be on the slower end of viruses wrt mutation.

2 Likes

You get hit hard by the first or second shot? Itā€™s not 100 percent, but people who got sick have reported getting hit harder by the first than the second.

Getting second pfizer in a few hours. Hoping I donā€™t get sick because I have actually a lot of work to do the rest of the week. For anyone who got sick - how severe was it?

3 Likes

lol you said the POCs should be put in jail but religious people can have objections and not do it

5 Likes