COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Non-resident Uruguayan#1 here, received confirmation of first and second dose schedule today. Was expecting Sinovac but am informed it’ll be Pfizer.

Guessing @Ikioi receives the UP wooden spoon?

13 Likes

I bet heritagenothate hasn’t received his vaccine

3 Likes

Right, but that i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶ freethinker has been eligble for ages? Our Japanese comrade still isn’t afaik; I became eligible a little over a week ago (over 40yrs old, let’s leave it that).

1 Like

Oh you’re talking wooden spoon for eligibility, not for actually getting it.

2 Likes

Try building a wall to keep them out.

Does anyone know when the general public in Norway became eligible for the vaccine?

I ask because I was surprised to hear Magnus Carlson say he would be getting his first dose in the near future.

Norway has administered 4.3 million doses to its 5.4 million people, or enough to fully vaccinate 40% of the population. It doesn’t seem unusual that someone in his age group is only getting a their opportunity now.

Congrats! Happy for you. I guess I indeed win the Unstuck Last Man Vaxxed award. Can that be my under title?

I was optimistic that my turn at the jab would come this month given how things were progressing, but locales, including my own, are running out of their initial stocks of vaccine vials, so now it’s looking like September at the earliest :frowning_face:

4 Likes

But he is a national treasure!

The chess player? Perhaps his deferral of his vaccination is a gambit.

Why is the UK having a surge? Aren’t the majority of their population vaccinated? Is it because they don’t have 2 shots of the mRNA ones? In the US places with the vaccination rate of England are seeing almost no cases now.

They have a ton of single-vaxxed people who aren’t fully protected.

1 Like

Oof. Best of luck getting it sooner.

We’re still really doing the Olympics there later this month though? Has public opinion changed at all?

This is almost covid disinformation.

More than 45 million people - about 85% of all UK adults - have now received a first dose of a vaccine and more than 33 million people, or more than 60% of all adults, have had a second.

It’s because ‘only’ 50% of the population are fully vaccinated and that still leaves a rampant strain like Delta, plenty of targets.

Cases are predicted to hit 50k daily by 19 July

Israel used mRNA exclusively and had to bring the mask mandates back only 10 days after they dropped them.

1 Like

Olympics is 100% going ahead as planned. Way too late to cancel at this juncture.

Public opinion here is more resignation than support or even opposition at this point.

1 Like

So Wookie was right?

1 Like

Because it’s clearly better to space shots out 8 weeks or maybe 12 weeks or maybe forever because the extra 2% theoretical protection long term.

Seriously let’s hope that there is dramatic drop in morbidity from even partial immunity and also prioritization of two shots for olds and vulnerables.

Partial immunity letting the virus get a foothold in the body is an excellent crucible for variant selection.

UK has a greater percentage of double vaccinated than say the USA
On top of the above, UK also has additional people running round with one vaccination

So, if it can happen here, it will happen in other countries populations that are less vaxxed

• The number of cases in Spain has spiked, with more than 32,000 new infections announced on Monday – up from single figures announced the previous week. Authorities say young people have been most affected, with 640 cases per 100,000 among the 20-29 age group. Around 19m people – or 40% of the country – have received two doses of a Covid vaccine so far

• France’s government spokesman has said the country could see a rise in cases by the end of the month due to the spread of the Delta variant

1 Like

Seems the only way longer time between doses will work is if you maintain a lockdown and restrictive mask and distancing rules until after most people have had both shots.

I am worried about potential mutations from the half vaxxed but I am no science guy.

The chart you just posted says this isn’t true.

wookie said there are a “ton” of people in the UK with one dose, your post shows 40% of the UK only has one dose in them, give this a rest.

1 Like