COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

BBC rolling covid news

Germany lambasts Europe’s football governing body
German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer has accused the European football governing body, Uefa, over its handling of the Euro 2020 Championship.

“I think Uefa’s position is utterly irresponsible because we live in a time of a pandemic and in countries like Great Britain, where there’s a high incidence rate,” Mr Seehofer said.

“Looking at the footage, people being very close to each other, it’s a foregone conclusion that this will drive the rate of infection. I have the suspicion that this is about commercial interests, and commercial interests must not supersede the protection of the public from infection.”

Uefa has been pressing 11 host cities across Europe to allow big crowds into stadiums.

On Tuesday, 40,000 fans were at London’s Wembley stadium to watch England beat Germany.

Nearly 2,000 Covid cases in Scotland have been linked to people watching Euro 2020 football matches.

Two thirds were people who travelled to London for Scotland’s game with England on 18 June.

“I have the suspicion that this is about commercial interests”

lol

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveLawrence_/status/1410270841636597765

https://mobile.twitter.com/Toshk/status/1410500213018660867

That’s diplomacy speak for : „They are corrupt bastards“

Under-40s protected up to 72% after one jab, estimates suggest

The first evidence of the effectiveness of the vaccines among the under-40s has been published by Public Health England.

Early estimates suggest a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine is 61% effective at preventing mild illness, while Moderna is 72% effective.

These are the two main vaccines that are being offered to the under-40s.

It is the first real world evidence of any kind of how well Moderna is working in the UK. Pfizer has been used widely in older age groups and among health and care workers and has show similar results.

Meanwhile, PHE also said data suggested that two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine was 94% effective at preventing death. AstraZeneca is the most commonly used vaccine in the UK among the over-40s.

Dr Jamie Lopez Bernal, of PHE, said: “This data gives us even more confidence that the vaccines offer high levels of protection against Covid across all age groups.”

1 Like

The four vaccines approved for use in the UK are also approved in the European Union - but three of them are sometimes known by different brand names.

In the EU:

• the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is sometimes known as Comirnaty
  • Oxford-AstraZeneca (AZ) is known as Vaxzevria
  • Moderna is known as Spikevax
  • Janssen (sometimes referred to as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) is the same as in the UK

Vaxeria is a great name for a vaccine. Or it should be the name of places where vaccines are distributed.

“Yeah, I’ll get a covid, an influenza, ooooh, is that a Hep-C you got over there?”

3 Likes

¡Vamos a la vaxeria!

4 Likes

Just get a vaxx appointment for yourself, then distract the nurse while they’re giving the shot and stick your kid’s arm in front of yours. Repeat process in 3 weeks.

Nah just throw him on your shoulders and go with the trenchcoat and fedora, make sure to coach your kid to casually make small talk with the doc about how he just went to the stock market and did a business, he’ll never suspect a thing.

8 Likes

The Delta variant, which originated in India, is seen as the biggest threat by many countries in Europe. The European Union’s disease control agency ECDC estimates that it could account for 90% of cases by the end of August.

Russia has seen record numbers of deaths for the past three days, with 672 fatalities and 23,543 new cases announced on Thursday alone. Most of the new cases in Moscow are of the Delta variant, and top health officials are also talking of a new Delta-plus variant.

3 Likes

An example of peer pressure in action: currently sitting at a live poker table. Guy in his 70s sits down without a mask and keeps to himself for the first 15 mins. Then he eventually looks around the table and sees that the other 6 players are all masked and he quietly put on. KN95.

Pretty surprised to have an entire table masked. A few days ago I never saw more than 3 at a time.

4 Likes

My brother is in a poker league where 30 people get around to play tournaments without mask on.

He tells me he still wears his mask.

I don’t know if I believe him but appreciate him saying that even if he is lying.

I would even feel weird being the only one with a mask but would do it proudly.

1 Like

Well, sure, they could. But would they? There are docs that commit far more egregious malpractice than that who are still licensed and practicing medicine. It seems highly unlikely to lose it just for that.

True. But what are the odds of that based on what we know. Once again, seems unlikely. It’s not a risk most would take. But it is also not a risk that literally no one would take.

I’ve been wearing my mask at the few live sessions I’ve done recently, and I’d say its about 2/3 not wearing them. So it really doesn’t feel weird. I like it in many ways I guess.

Are there Dunkin’ Donuts in England ?

I don’t know sounds like a stripper’s name.

Seems like people would relish the chance to wear a mask at a poker table but I don’t know poker.

If we’re lucky, the next pandemic will attack the eyes and 97 percent of poker players will refuse to wear sunglasses at the table.

4 Likes