COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Yeah, and I kinda doubt the county has the political will to impose an order at this point. Newsome’s probably leaning on them behind the scenes so as not to upset his position in the recall.

Skydome is Labatt which is Budweiser so there’s a large selection. Goose Island is often featured on tap. Scotia is Molson which is Creemore and Granville, but you can’t get Granville draught

1 Like

That sounds familiar.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a really good Granville. They strike me as a thoroughly mediocre “craft” beer.

The microbiologist in me is furious at both the writer and the editor of this article from some called New Atlas.

• Researchers from Brigham and Women’s Hospital have engineered yeast used in baking, wine-making and brewing to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The bacteria has been modified to secrete an anti-inflammatory molecule in response to signs of gut inflammation and has proven effective in preclinical tests.*
1 Like

The Federal Government here have completely fucked this up, they did not move early enough to secure multiple vaccine options, they were way too reliant on AstraZeneca which now nobody under 40 wants to take because of the blood clot risk. With COVID being almost nonexistent here it’s a tough sell to tell people to take a small risk of death for what is basically no individual benefit.

It’s not just that, we also continue to be reliant on quarantine hotels for returning travellers, and a joint Aus-NZ study found that quarantine failure, meaning escape from containment, is happening for 1 in every 200 positive cases in quarantine, which is abysmal. One thing Australia has plenty of is fucking open space, the government could have purpose-built accommodation on vacant land for much less than what it has cost us to do these lockdowns. You don’t have to build BSL-4 hermetically sealed high tech buildings, you just build cheap, basic chipboard units which have enough open air between each one.

Multiple of these outbreaks around the country have been seeded by obviously high-risk people who were not vaccinated. The Sydney outbreak which kicked it all off was a limo driver who drove around international flight crew, and in Queensland there was a nurse working in a hospital and also a woman who apparently has been granted permission to visit Indonesia several times during the pandemic. None of these people were vaccinated. It’s so far from acceptable. I really hope the Federal Government reap some kind of political backlash from this, but so far this has not materialised because people look at death stats overseas and here and say “hey, we’re doing OK” even though that difference was largely down to the structural advantages Australia has (no land borders etc) and the actions of state governments to contain outbreaks.

4 Likes

So umm… I don’t think things are going well:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1410079109833764864

ER Visits are up nationwide by my totally non-scientific sample of colleagues I have across the nation. I don’t think this is covid necessarily, but I’m confused nonetheless.

7DMA in Nevada, Missouri, Arkansas and Utah have all ~doubled over the past 4 weeks.

I’m surprised the anti-vaxxers haven’t stumbled onto:

A) The vaccines caused the Delta variant.

B) All of us vaxxed people are blasting then with Delta like Typhoid Mary.

I guess they’d have to admit Delta is scary.

Reproduction rate now 1.11 in the Czech Republic. Talks of implementing restrictions again are ongoing.

Sucks balls but at least we didn’t have a banquet on Charles Bridge like last summer when we naively celebrated beating covid.

I think my trip to Bulgaria is gonna be fucked. Shit.

1 Like

Do you think part of this is people going back to pre-covid levels of comfort in deciding to go to the ER for non life threatening issues? Or issues they would have tried to take care of on their own during the height of the pandemic? Like I know a year ago if I had a minor bowel obstruction or something I would have tried to ride it out hoping it would resolve itself. Now I’d be at the ER asking for an NG tube as soon as I realized it wasn’t a false alarm obstruction.

Which article is that from? I’m interested in reading that, and would be interested in what makes you furious as well so I can approach it with a deeper understanding. Thanks!

1 Like
1 Like

Meanwhile in Vermont with over 80% vaccinated, the 7DMA has been cut in half over that time period.

And yesterday, there were zero COVID ICU patients.

The author seems to think that yeast and bacteria are interchangeable terms. That’s what offends me.

3 Likes

Brief conversation with a colleague

Colleague: This summer, we’re not going on vacation because of the possible covid mutations.
Me: Oh. Sorry to hear that.
C: So what’s the vaccine like?
M: I thought you got the vaccine.
C: No, no. I’m not getting it.
M: thinking

6 Likes

We’ll see who’s the smart one when you are on your death bed with the 5G autism, Mr. Sheeple.

2 Likes

how good are these numbers? seems like testing has completely collapsed so I would suspect the numbers are even higher

Kinda drives me nuts because she’s normally very conscientious and took the whole pandemic thing pretty seriously from the start. So I just assumed that she got the vaccine without ever asking.

At least it’s Delta and not Delta Plus, I guess…

Is the UK jabbing more than Israel?

At today’s Prime Minister’s Questions, Boris Johnson praised the UK vaccine rollout and claimed “this country has actually overtaken Israel in the proportion of people vaccinated”.

In terms of people having at least one dose of vaccine, the UK has just overtaken Israel in the last few days.

As of 29 June, 65% of the population had received at least one of their jabs, compared with 64.8% of Israelis.

But in Israel, a bigger chunk of people are fully vaccinated, having received both doses of vaccine – 60% of the population compared with 48% of the UK population.

This is particularly important for the new, more transmissible Delta variant. One dose of the vaccine is considerably less effective against it than it is against the Alpha variant (the one first identified in Kent). But after two doses it’s just as good.

Israel has a population of just 9m people compared with the UK’s 67m.

Canada passed the USA yesterday in total doses and as a result is scrapping their vaccination rollout.

9 Likes

More than 30 million of the most vulnerable should receive a third dose, vaccine experts are advising.

They will include all adults aged 50 and over, and anyone younger who qualifies for a flu jab.

This will include both Pfizer and AZ vaccinated peeps (larger proportion of over 50’s have Pfizer than population as Pfizer was the first approved vaccine in the UK)