COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Every guy from Boston sounds like Bill Burr to me.

That probably was him too.

2 Likes

No more after effects since noon (t+3). Played some decent tennis without any issues. Those little nausea waves were weird.

2 Likes

Looks like my mother and her boyfriend have decided not to get the vaccine.

Not sure about the boyfriend. Apparently, he was told heā€™d test positive for covid for the next 6 weeks despite no longer being symptomatic (WTF). My mother (now recovered) brings up the J&J vaccine withdrawal and how little is known about the long-term effects blah blah blah. Personal choice and all that bullshit. Thereā€™s no reasoning with her. I really wonder if she ever scheduled an appointment at all or if she just went through the motions. Apparently, she ā€œknows peopleā€ who have died as a result of the vaccine. Of course, she wonā€™t tell me who they are because I never heard of them. That might actually be true but given that she hasnā€™t made a thing about her ā€œfriendsā€ dying, I doubt that they were actually friends of hers.

I donā€™t know whatā€™s on FOX News but I canā€™t help speculating that while they arenā€™t openly anti-vax theyā€™re spreading enough misinformation to instill fear into its viewers through articles about this and that. Near 100% guarantee that she popped onto Parler over the last week given her lack of Facebook activitiy and that she heard about the people who died from the vaccine there. Every time I bring up where she gets this stuff from, she never tells me the source. Itā€™s always ā€œthe newsā€ or ā€œsomebodyā€. Thereā€™s never a link or anything like that. She never has any details or specifics. Information enters her mind, gets turned into alphabet soup and some days later sheā€™s trying to arrange the soup into sentence form in order to share it with me.

Fucking antivax grifters are killing people.

1 Like
Do you know anyone who has decided to delay vaccination or not get vaccinated at all?
  • No
  • Yes, immediate family member(s)
  • Yes, non-immediate family member(s)
  • Yes, close friend(s)
  • Yes, acquaintances (colleagues, neighbors etc)
  • Yes, others

0 voters

While this is not great, I wouldnā€™t sweat it that much. If they actually got COVID, theyā€™ve got some protection. It may even be better in some ways. The vaccines will give you a better response to a single (very important) antigen. But there are presumably other mechanisms that are activated by illness, but not the vaccine.

Also, Iā€™m pretty sure that hospitalization/death due to a second COVID infection is incredibly rare.

Sure but natural antigens donā€™t last. They eventually fade and viruses mutate.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure this is true. For example when people get chicken pox, they donā€™t get it again (generallyā€¦ although you can get shingles, but thatā€™s a bit different as it is not really a reinfection). Obviously itā€™s different for different viruses. and I donā€™t think we know this for COVID. There were reports that people who had the original SARS actually had better outcomes than the average COVID patient and that was well over a decade ago.

Mutation is a problem for vaccines as well. So until we have a different vaccine to cover variants, sheā€™s probably not that much worse off. I donā€™t know when that will happen, but you have until then to change her mind. Good luck.

1 Like

To expand on this my personal feeling (i.e., I donā€™t really have any evidence, so all the evidence-based medicine nits can stand down) is that if I could choose to have only one of the following:

1. Mild COVID (i.e. nowhere near hospitalization) and the average amount of immunity conferred to someone my age that results from the infection.

2. Pfizer or Moderna vaccine and the average amount of immunity conferred to someone my age from that.

I would pick #1. Obviously, there is no reason to choose, so if I actually had #1, I would absolutely get the vaccine. Also there is no way to ensure that you get mild COVID, so there is no realistic way to choose #1. But in the hypothetical scenario where I could choose only one of the two, Iā€™d pick #1.

Even CR has reported over 1,000 reinfections to date - not so rare 12 months on

Reinfections are not a problem if you donā€™t get very sick (obviously you can still spread, but thatā€™s a different matterā€¦appealing to that argument is not going to help bobā€™s mom). I think the reason why the reinfected people donā€™t get as sick is that whatever immunity the first infection gave is helping them.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean if the prior infection is more than 6 months old then that may not protect against covid, let alone the new variants and a jab is always the best option.

Depends on the state I guessā€¦

Iā€™m just not sure we know how long it lasts and how much. As I mentioned earlier, people with SARS 1.0 still got COVID but they did better than average the COVID patient. And that was a very long time ago.

Well, a pre-infection with covid generates a larger antibody response than 2 doses of any vaccines the UK have used, so there is that (hence vaccines 2.0 coming soon)

(Not directed at Melk)ā€¦ For the avoidance of doubt, still get the vaccine FFS, even if youā€™ve had (old) covid

making progress

What percentage of Manhattanites do you figure are anti-vax? Iā€™d assume less than 20%.

Out of 1.6M who have been infected in the CR thatā€™s a vanishingly small number.

true anti-vaxxers have to be a pretty small portion of the population. hereā€™s a more detailed look at vaccine rates in new york. in manhattan, the predominantly latino and black neighborhoods of upper manhattan are showing more hesitancy. but those numbers have still been going up, and i hope they will continue to go up as vaccines become easier to access (no appointments) and people become more comfortable as they see that their acquaintances who have gotten it have good outcomes.

manhattan detail

My original appointment for shot #2 was Thursday, which was scheduled when I got the first shot, and I moved it up to Monday on the Walgreens website. I wasnā€™t able to try to change the date until three weeks after my first shot and I could only access slots for the next day.

1 Like

Yes, exactly this! I got up from the couch and immediately went into compulsive shivering. Really makes it hard to piss and brush your teeth when your hands wonā€™t stop shaking. It was very strange.

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1383884442058465287

3 Likes