COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

I get it. Your family is facing challenges in the developing world.

Most of us live in the developed world. Naturally, it’s less of a priority for us.

Apparently, we’re bad people if we don’t care as much about the things that affect you as you do.

I had a few quotes I was going to post but I don’t think it will help the thread and the overall discussion, plus it doesn’t really matter that much.

A few posters did say it’s not their problem anymore.

I just don’t think most of the forum understands what it’s like to be at the bottom of the social economic food chain. That is not a shot at anyone, they are extremely lucky.

3 Likes

I think there are some broader methodological problems too:

The Post adjusted covid-19 rates for cases, deaths and hospitalization over time by combining Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data on cases, hospitalization and vaccinations. The Post used a rolling seven-day average of daily cases, deaths and hospitalization. For vaccination, The Post used the number of people who had received at least one shot as of each date.

For events like covid-19 infection, rates are usually calculated by dividing the number of cases by the number of people in the population. For example, if there are 12 cases among a population of 100 people, the rate would be 12 people per 100. The Post reduced the denominator to exclude most vaccinated people. So if 20 people got vaccinated, that would mean there were 12 cases out of the remaining 80 unvaccinated people, for an adjusted rate of 15 cases per 100 people.

Vaccination is not perfect in preventing infections, however, so The Post did not subtract the entire population of vaccinated people. Data shows vaccines are about 90 percent effective in preventing cases among people who have received the shot. Cases among vaccinated people are called breakthrough cases. To be conservative, The Post estimated that up to 15 percent of the vaccinated population could still be infected.

So, in the example above, instead of removing all 20 vaccinated people, The Post removed 17. That would leave 12 cases among 83 people, for an adjusted rate of 14.5 cases per 100 people.

I think it’s just a straight up mistake to treat people as vaccinated from the day they get their first shot–how could that be more appropriate than a 7- or 14-day time lag? And then they use a single metric for vaccine efficacy, which applies to all vaccines, from the day after the first shot to two weeks after the series is completed. And it appears that they use the same percentage to adjust the lagging indicators, which is pretty hard to defend.

Overall, you’d expect that approach to overstate the unvaccinated case rate: a) in areas where J&J was more common (because it’s less protective than the model assumes), and b) when lots of vaccinations are happening (because you have people in the early stages who are counted as “vaccinated” but aren’t actually protected. And you’d expect it to systematically distort the lagging indicators by counting vaccinations that occurred after the relevant infection.

1 Like

It’s not that I don’t care. It’s just less of a priority.

Most people in the developed world have more pressing personal problems to deal than to worry about people thousands of miles away that they’ve never met in a country they’ve never seen and have little to understanding of. People are supposed to say that they care because it’s the socially acceptable thing to say. How many of those people actually do something? Best I got is a Facebook Birthday fundraiser every year for GiveDirectly. It ends up with a few hundred bucks but that’s obviously not even a drop in the bucket.

It’s good for people to have a life removed from fear and doubt to the point where they can dedicate themselves to care about those people. I’m not one of those people and most aren’t.

Churchill’s take less time to scroll past, that’s the main difference.

3 Likes

Some people are not even willing to wear a mask in the grocery store anymore so that should give you an idea.

This is why we should continue to wear mask.

You’re literally just making shit up

3 Likes

I agree with the masks part. I was making a more general statement.

That article, of course, made no such claim. It said that web traffic went up for a vaccine site. I liked that more people looked at vaccines.

Your toxic uninformed bs is tiring

https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1396923831889977346?s=21

This is the most inconceivable economic result I have ever seen.

An economist responding positively to criticism? Agreed.

4 Likes

Literally nobody is saying that. But Churchill has been posting “the sky is falling we’re all going to die” shit for months now.

Buried? It’s the 4th sentence.

No one claimed it as some sort of major finding. It was just an article about web traffic. Trying to turn that into something more, and furthermore being SUPER MAD about it a week later is pathetic. I liked it because I like people looking up stuff about vaccines.

If you want to state exactly what you’re mad about from a few days ago, go ahead. I might read it.

FWIW, the BBC headline was definitely incorrect about this new Vietnam variant being a hybrid. It’s pretty amazing the community here was sharp enough to clue in to that immediately.

4 Likes

I mean, JT is literally taking offense at things I directed at Churchill and not at him.

Oh and Johnny, you’re apparently super mad about being told how covid spreads quickly through the air is not new information worth highlighting. You said you didn’t do this… you also quoted 6 news stories in response to me making fun of Churchill highlighting that statement.

Come on man.

This thread generally has pretty good information, with one notable exception.

My body of work on the “time to take off our masks” mandate was pretty clearly anti. The motives of a poster matter too. There is only one poster in this thread who posts everything they can to fearmonger. That poster is not you. Just becuase some of the things that poster posts end up being correct (although usually in a much less exaggerated fashion), doesn’t meant that we should encourage that poster to keep posting his bullshit.

Anywho, in the “more good news” department, New York State’s Covid positivity rate just dropped below .5 percent for the first time since the pandemic.

Pro tip: when you guys are down to arguing the nth level of who reacted to what was said by whom in response to what so and so said but really that was in response to … etc. etc. etc. - NO ONE FUCKING CARES

We need a new thread for endless bickering by the same 4-6 people so the rest of us can actually keep up with covid.

20 Likes

I mean mostly Dan and Wookie.

In Church’s defense, it was the BBC that dropped the ball here. He gets a lot of heat because he’s spent the past year posting a lot of clear nonsense and gloating over Americans dying.

1 Like