COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

A Johnny-Trolly slap fight was not on my Bingo card.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1399862843621744648

2 Likes

No real reason to be concerned with this right now. With that said, we really need to fucking give up our dependence meat as a species. Animal husbandry is going to kill us all.

1 Like

In Japan most localities offer actually free annual health exams, including bloodwork. Going on six years living here and still have to pinch myself every time I visit a doctor and receive the bill at the end. Iā€™ve yet to have one that is more expensive than the cheapest medical bill I ever paid back in the States.

1 Like

no. raising and harvesting animals is an integral part of sustainable agriculture.

1 Like

It is completely unnecessary to the future of the human race and is extremely detrimental to both the environment and to a lesser extent human health.

1 Like

current agro practices are unsustainable, but that applies to both plant and animal products. thereā€™s no such thing in the wild where monoculture plants are growing without a diverse set of insect, bird, and animal species around. yet this is how we grow all of our vegetables and grain. donā€™t get me started on soil health and synthetic fertilizers.

2 Likes

How exactly does car seat + uber work?

Did you just bring a seat with you and the lug it around at the zoo the whole time? Did the uber already have one?

1 Like

sorry about the derail. anyways, iā€™m somewhat confident we can raise cattle AND protect against novel viruses jumping to humans. probably going to take a pretty comprehensive effort of testing and monitoring the meats.

No colonoscopy? I thought you were an old.

Nope. I suppose I should have one. Iā€™m 53. I did mail some poop to Kaiser about a year ago.

Yeah, youā€™re way overdue, bro.

They recently reduced the recommendation for screening to start at 45. So Iā€™m working up the initiative to set one up myself pretty soon.

Clean as a whistle at 50. Got put on the 10 year plan. Yikes. T-minus four years. But still better than this thread the past few weeks.

4 Likes

Sometimes. Maybe even most of the time. But he does have a wide range.

1 Like

In 2004-2005 my wife had a stage 4 Non Hodgkinā€™s lymphoma. She went to something like 6-8 all day expensive Chop-R chemo treatments and then had a few radiation treatments, not to mention all the biopsy and diagnostic stuff and follow ups. She then Worked at a bio tech startup in Cambridge. We paid 0 dollars.

No we are supposedly getting paid less at OSU for their ā€œgreatā€ benefits plan and pay at least 1-2k a year for random stuff like a foot cast and extras or an EKG, plus random normal care. nowhere near as extensive as what she went through then. Anecdotal, but it is very noticeable and we def are sometimes playing the pros and cons game of going in for something we are not sure about knowing itā€™s probably 500 bucks

2 Likes

The environmental impact of raising cattle alone is a reason we should stop raising cattle. Dnoā€™t get me wrong, I used to love a good steak too, but that shit is killing our planet.

Man Iā€™m 31 and have had somewhere around 22 colonoscopies. I always forget thatā€™s not normal until this type of conversation comes up. Definitely get one done sooner rather than later. Itā€™s likely a much less unpleasant experience than the last time you did, or than what you are expecting if youā€™ve never been scoped. And it could save your life so thatā€™s cool too.

I ignored all news for 12 hours today and as I am going to bed I see fauci emails trending and the insanity. Trying to go to sleep

Before I do just wanted to say what if you refuse to engage your doctor in any way on your blood pressure during your physical. He can take it just donā€™t respond to any questions about it.

To be fair, turns out procuring a shit ton of vaccine for a deadly virus was the best thing we could have done. It has made a gargantuan difference even in the face of mountains of ignorance from the population.

You canā€™t just handwave that away. It ended up being massively significant.

Do people really expect kumbaya put the world in a line sharing would ever happen in the face of a deadly pandemic. Most countries would have done the same thing given the opportunity.

Sure there is some luck that the one vaccine in the western world that struggled at first was not a US product or partnership. But since they were involved in the production of three others I am not sure it is luck so much as payoff for evilly lording over the world for 70 years.

But it is what it is and you canā€™t act like creating and securing and distributing the vaccine to its citizens is not a significant part of the US dealing with their Covid problem.

If you want lucky letā€™s talk about countries that have just in recent months started to struggle after everything went their way and yet they failed to utilize over a year of grace period to prevent a potential problem.

I feel bad. I misled one person through omission when he had a bad experience with the first shot. There was a real fear he might not get it and that was a bigger concern than him knowing some people had worse experiences following shot two.