COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

This article about Dr Walensky purports to be a fact-check, but actually made me like her more:

1 Like

Have any of you read Michael Lewis’s new book? I’m only a quarter through but its very critical of the CDC, makes me really skeptical of everything that they’re putting out.

2 Likes

It’s bad enough that such organizations struggle with “bureaucracy” getting in the way, but then to add Trumpian dystopia on top makes it impossible to function.

Need look no further than the FBI pre-911 for example of the former.

Didn’t help that sacred “theory” cows such as smear transmission and not recognizing aerosols were at play.

Yup. I read the article earlier over breakfast.

Two things stood out for me.

Six patients enrolled in [Raoult’s] treatment group at the beginning of the study were not accounted for by the end, missing from the data.

“What happened to the other six treated patients?” Bik said.

“Why did they drop out of the study? Three of them were transferred to the intensive care unit, presumably because they got sicker, and one died. It seems a bit strange to leave these four patients who got worse or who died out of the study, just on the basis that they stopped taking the medication … which is pretty difficult once the patient is dead.”

and

Raoult

2 Likes

The book (keeping in mind that I haven’t finished it) suggests they have a culture problem dating back to at least W. They are portrayed as a tepid politically savvy Cover Your Ass entity that foists the actual hard decision making on others. Its hard not to sympathetize with that point of view having just gone though their measured, tepid, CYA approach to mask guidance.

Sounds like they just filed some sort of lawsuit equivalent maybe?

The French are dumb.

One argument for not vaccinating children against Covid is they get relatively little benefit from it.

“Fortunately one of the few good things about this pandemic is children are very rarely seriously affected by this infection,” said Prof Adam Finn, who sits on the UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation.

Infections in children are nearly always mild or asymptomatic, which is in sharp contrast to older age groups who have been prioritised by vaccination campaigns.

A study across seven countries, published in the Lancet, estimated that fewer than two out of every million children died with Covid during the pandemic.

Children do not appear to be major spreaders of coronavirus, but older teenagers may still play a role.

“There’s certainly evidence of potential for transmission in secondary school ages (12yr+), so vaccinating could have an impact on overall transmission,” said Dr Adam Kucharski, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

But there is not a universal answer on whether it is worthwhile.

USA#1

I also wonder how many of the breakthrough severe infections are of people who are really really old and infirm (but not necessarily technically immunocompromised).

1 Like
2 Likes

‘May have led’ but alas no contract tracing or genomic surveillance so whadda they know

Article basically states two months after opening schools Texas had some covid cases and deaths - during a pandemic

Just look overseas, ROW’s been OFS throughout the pandemic…and UK has test and trace and genocially surveys 50% of the total worldwide cases and belives under 12’s don’t really add to transmission

Anyone die in Texas before they opened the schools?

Any idea even with schools closed why the US has a disproportionate no. of under 4’s dying from covid? Would that be anything to do with bars, restaurants, takeaways etc being open in the US throughout a pandemic? Can’t be their older siblings bringing it home from school so must be something else.

It isn’t really “an article said this”, it is this analysis said this.

Obviously, yes, the US being OFB helped lead to bad results regardless of what schools did
or didn’t do.

3 Likes

I’ll read the 75 page analysis another time.

The abstract sums it up fairly well in one paragraph. Conclusion is one page.

It’s also deeply amusing how fast that paper went from “too simple” to “too complicated for churchill to attempt to understand”

3 Likes

Yeah I haven’t read it either. I’m just saying “an article said this” isn’t really accurate. There’s an academic paper and modeling behind it, not a claim from thin air.

It’s a paper from Texas that hasn’t quite made it’s way into any recognised journal yet.

I can write a paper.

More like a book actually…some solid analysis here…

Data care of SafeGraph Inc.? I’m sure the BBC will run some news on this anlysis soon…

Would you like to answer the question why the US seems to have had more deaths (during covid and pre-pandemic) in the under 4’s than European reporting countries has had in the under 9’s? When schools have been closed in the US and open in ROW?

Really dude?

No idea. No idea as to an explanation and why it’s relevant.

This thread fucking sucks.

1 Like

Basically for the reasons the abstract says(was describing all deaths but still holds for younger kids too). Generally we did little to get community spread low after Spring 2020. Then we opened schools, then did it with half-assed precautions in many places. Almost everyone agrees with you the US response sucked in most/all facets, but maybe I’m missing something?

Previous evidence suggests that schools can be reopened safely if community spread is low and public health guidelines are followed.

However, in Texas, reopenings often occurred alongside high community spread and at near capacity, making it difficult to meet social distancing recommendations.

Using event-study models and hand- collected instruction modality and start dates for all school districts, we find robust evidence that reopening Texas schools gradually but substantially accelerated the community spread of COVID-19.

What an amazing way to frame this. Kids get a (relatively small) benefit, it reduces transmission, there’s no downside, but there’s no “universal answer” to whether it’s worth it? What in the actual fuck are we even talking about?

4 Likes

Churchill’s need to drag the USA afaict

That’s not even Churchill, that’s right from the flipping BBC, who definitely should know better.

3 Likes