COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

This is correct. Minors can only consent to medical treatment in some narrow circumstances. Vaccines aren’t one of them.

However, let’s say mom is crazy and dad is fine with vaccines. It only takes one to sign the form.

Yeah this. Unless Covid-19 proves germ theory wrong and acts differently then every other virus in existence that we’ve studied up until now… That seems really really really unlikely to me.

Based on this article, it looks like if they can get to Washington, NC or Idaho, they can get it.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article251385583.html

Hmmm that’s way broader than I would have thought.

However, I doubt you’re going to fly through many clinics without someone signing off as a parent.

It wasn’t that long ago ITT that I spitballed it that vaccinated people would be about 2.5% of cases these days. Their impact on transmissions is going to inherently be even smaller. It’s just such a small thing to worry about.

1 Like

That’s not reasonable. Kids are known viral vectors that spread respiratory viruses constantly. It was obvious that since they were not getting as sick, they weren’t getting tested. Kids are also constantly getting fevers, especially ones in daycare/school. We tell parents not to care about those for a day or so at least. Vaccinated people who do not get sick are not able to transmit the virus efficiently because that’s how germ theory works.

I’ve seen people bring up the ‘but they didn’t prove you can’t transmit the virus!’ stuff for awhile, and frankly I’m not even sure how to study such a thing. It would take a very creative experiment design with a very big sample size. Honestly it doesn’t even seem worth it.

And I’m telling you that’s not plausible, nor supported by the chart you keep posting.

1 Like

Cases are creeping up a little here - public masking, well vaccinated population, lockdown supposed to be ending 21 June

An interesting article that I think has some implications for vaccines and mask mandates. Looks like the government isn’t nearly as influential as you might think

1 Like

California making it official that June 15th is the open for business date

1 Like

Asymptomatic or presymptomatic unvaccinated spread is not at all the same thing as a vaccinated person with no or incredibly low viral load causing spread.

The chart you posted does not support this statement.

I tried to point to this phenomenon earlier.

1 Like

I might be reading it wrong but the last couple of lines point to the % transmission numbers being on the optimistic side

This is no accident - I’m 99% sure the author of this article was one of the 3 people on that podcast.

As an aside, someone earlier mentioned something that I’ve heard before and I think is very puzzling - the idea that COVID is much different from other viruses in terms of how frequently it spreads asymptomatically. Unless I’m mistaken, we generally don’t test asymptomatic people for any other viruses, so I’m not sure how anyone would be able to draw that conclusion.

3 Likes

It also says that people’s behavior is not influenced very heavily by federal, state, or local mandates. I don’t have data - I don’t know how I’d get it - but all my real world experiences and observations so far have shown this to be true.

I’ve said numerous times itt over the last year that my area basically didn’t close. There’s a mask mandate in my city - people ignored it. People from the very beginning were just gonna do what they are gonna do.

Even in vegas this weekend despite signs being everywhere that said you can mask off if vaccinated, mask use was easily over 50%. And this is in vegas of all places, where people do tons of “bad” stuff they normally wouldn’t do. Where else to take off your mask if not there?

So that’s why I feel so strongly that this recommendation will be mostly inconsequential. It’s anecdotal I know but there are real world examples. Orange county for instance, my county, has fought the state’s covid policies hard and has rebelled. It also has boasted extraordinarily low case rates throughout most of this pandemic. My take until very recently was that deep red, anti-mask places like OC and FL are fudging their numbers, but now, I am not so sure.

Well, you can keep saying it, but what you don’t grasp is I am talking about practical results and you are talking about medically.

I have no idea what this means. It doesn’t make sense.

Like can often happen between us, there is a nuance that you miss and get stuck on your line instead of understanding the actual point.

And this is simply not true.

You made the argument that this could be similar to the issue with kids, which I was an extremely strong proponent of that it was happening. The reason being was that based on fundamental tenets of what we know about viruses, it had to be spreading in kids. Those same fundamental tenets are why it’s not remotely likely for the vaccinated to spread virus similar to kids.

I’ve made my point… twice by now. This won’t turn into dozens of posts.

HIV

2 Likes

Yes but we DONT KNOW FOR SURE

Couple of months old but still stands true

In fact, most vaccines don’t fully protect against infection, even if they can block symptoms from appearing. As a result, vaccinated people can unknowingly carry and spread pathogens. Occasionally, they can even start epidemics.