COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Assuming this was from yesterday I’m surprised he made it onto a train in the first place, unless he just lost it on the train and removed the mask.

I left Taipei on Friday just before they upped the security level and I think it was around a $1,000 fine for not having a mask on public transport at that time.

Got my 2nd shot today. Feels good to finally get it completed.

30 Likes

Looks like I’ll be returning to school for the first face-to-face work activity since 2020.

It’s just a teacher’s meeting but that’s the beginning I return to face-to-face teaching on the week of the 24th. It’ll only be for a couple of weeks since it’s almost the end of the school year.

Also, the BJJ school opened here. I’m going to start this week.

6 Likes

One thing the last year has made crystal clear is most restaurants are garbage. Went out to eat more out of habit.

Doesn’t mean there are not some amazing restaurants big and small, cheap or expensive out there, just that the majority of restaurants are under serving of my time or money.

Going to be a while before I eat inside at a restaurant and even then it will certainly be one of the few, and none of the many.

One interesting side note is in many areas unemployment has decimated gig restaurant delivery. They have a fraction of the drivers they used to have which has lead to higher delivery fees and regular “No Driver Available” messages in many areas. It’s for the same reason fast food restaurants can’t find slaves.

Unfortunately politicians instead of properly analyzing the situation and saying “These people are maximizing the benefits for their families including work, invoke and parenting so we should make sure the minimum wage is higher” they will instead say “These lazy SOBs rather just sit at hold and eat bonbons”

Ps. Bonbons was a very common reference in the 1970s through early 80s. A bonbon is a small chocolate confection. They are usually filled with liqueur or other sweet ingredients, and sold wrapped in coloured foil. This note was left for all millennials and Gen Zs or younger.

2 Likes

Chippa,

You’d never shop at Trader Joe’s?

@anon46587892 I nominate this for a Top Post of the Week for the test banner.

2 Likes

Well, we don’t have many of them down here in Florida. None close to me. No Costco’s closeby either. I must confess, I’ve gone to Walmart, but only as a last resort since they’re open 24 hours. I haven’t gone since that poll question was asked though. That’s right.

I don’t get Trader Joe’s. It’s not that good and it’s not that cheap. It’s like a weird cult where people pretend things aren’t mediocre because they have cutesy names.

1 Like

counterpoint: It is good and it is cheap.

7 Likes

It’s almost two hours to my nearest TJ, so I go infrequently, but do y’all ever see black people shopping at Trader Joe’s? Probably a product of the kind of neighborhoods that they tend to put stores in, but in retrospect it feels like a very Caucasian experience. Some of their popular products seem like ethnic food packaged for white people.

I have been trying this pick up line for over a year with zero success.

6 Likes

Trader Joes is a supplement to your regular grocery store. For example here’s what I buy at Trader Joes that you can’t get or isn’t as good at the grocery store:

• Pitas
  • Ezekial sprouted wheat bread
  • Garlic olive oil (best stuff in the world)
  • Shredded pepper jack
  • Gyro meat
  • Tzatiki sauce
  • Grapefruit (currently much better at TJs)
  • Baby jazz apples
  • Blackberries (sometimes grocery store is better)
  • Carne Asada (not as good as Costco but better than grocery store)
  • Pollo asada
  • Roasted almonds
  • Fresh(ish = refrigerated) salsa
  • Green jarred salsa that is the best anywhere (can’t remember the name)
  • Various cheese and meat for charcuterie
  • Mescal varieties - cheaper than anywhere else

Probably a few more I’m forgetting. They stopped selling the good shredded coconut, but I found it online. I still miss the basamati rice medley they had and stopped carrying then the pandemic hit.

1 Like

Yes, plenty, but it will require living in a city with black people around.

1 Like

Also, and I’m not sure if this is true everywhere like it is in SoCal, terrible parking lots seem to be part of their brand. WTF is that about?

1 Like

I’ve always thought that a white “comedian” with no shame could be quite the hit in Deplorableland with an entire act based around the fact that he identifies as black.

2 Likes

This sounds like something Jerry Seinfeld would try.

Jeff Dunham does that as part of his show

Opps wrong thread

Trader Joe’s is awesome, but yeah, only as a supplement. It’s kind of annoying that it can’t be a one-stop-shop. You shouldn’t buy produce there, for instance. Pretty damn good cheap beer and wine though IYAM.

1 Like

excise TJ content please

1 Like