COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

I don’t think #2 is possible. Without any significant reinfection development to this point and continued success of vaccines, community spread will eventually die out. It has to.

2 Likes

I know that the internet is just full of wall to wall idiotic takes on COVID but I just stumbled across a beauty that went something like this:

“LOCKDOWNS ARE STUPID! WHY DOES ONTARIO NEED TO HAVE SO MANY LOCKDOWNS! FLORIDA DOESN’T HAVE SO MANY LOCKDOWNS EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE HAD WAY MORE DEATHS THAN US!”

I had a IRL chuckle over that one. It’s nice to know that after all this time I am still capable of laughing at these people. He is so close to figuring this out!

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1392972326413742089?s=19

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1393126767284609024?s=19

Do you reckon it’s possible the infected vaccinnated people might have transmitted to unvaccinated people? It would be a shame not to be concerned about that.

Yeah, it’s lol - shame though, right? Especially for those wondering how the US will be judged after the pandemic

Maybe on the first point. Seems way more likely it was transmitted the other way based on the situation. We’ll see what contact tracing brings. Vaccinated can probably transmit, just somewhat rare, nothing here really changes that line of thinking.

Second point, yeah, kind of is what it is and the USA is what it is.

I’ll wager that the only reason these breakthrough cases were even detected is that the (insert sports team) was getting tested on the regular. All asymtomatic. By the time they test pozz, they are already spreading for a couple days prior to test, if we apply the usual traits of covid in the unvaccinated - what’s different here? At least the vaccinated won’t get the blame from pozzing friends, i guess (must be the kids)

I suspect many vaccinated people (unless in pro sports) wouldn’t get a covid test post vaccine even if they felt ill these days…assuming testing centres and availability of tests are still a thing… way too much hassle if you ain’t gonna die from it yourself - masks seem hard to some vaccinated ITT… not sure these guys are having the q-tip up the nose

Grunching but are people out there mad if you DO wear a mask now or wat?

Seems way more likely the one symptomatic case spread it to the others vs. the asymptomatic vaccinated coaches spreading it to each other.

You cannot apply the usual traits of covid in the unvaccinated to the vaccinated.

But even if only 75% effective, it’s puzzling that so many vaxxed coaches ended up pozzed.

Is there any talk about if there may have been a problem with the specific vaccine batch they all received?

Now is an important time to note that vaccinated people in studies where not randomly tested. The 75% is not quite the right stat to use here.

It’s awesome that the coaches are nearly all asymptomatic, although it’s unnerving to think that the J&J may end up being not great at stopping transmission.

No, but there is a some COVID research about how cases arent evenly spread but instead spread tends to index to a smaller subset of cases.

Also 8 coaches pozzed isnt necessarily crazy out of line with effectiveness (see this thread)

https://twitter.com/binney_z/status/1392993906212618240

If I had to guess (and it is a guess), I’d guess high viral load case with one of the more infectious variants in a high exposure setting.

So far no one else sick either, which is what I meant by it could be half good news. Id overall take that as a net positive if this is one of the new Indian variants.

I’m not even sure about that. If these players had much smaller viral loads, it is still likely that they great slowed transmission still.

Isn’t it irrelevant from whom the vaccinated caught it - only relevance is they caught it.

Far more interesting if they passed it on and to how many. Especially noq so many fully vaccinated will be running round maskless. Interesting to watch from afar.

lord why must you test me thus

6 Likes

Turns out it might be a big deal, at least here… looks like my 2nd vaccine will be rescheduled

The Indian variant could pose “serious disruption” to lockdown easing in England on 21 June, the PM has said.

Boris Johnson said if it was found to be “significantly” more transmissible there could be “some hard choices”.

The wait between jabs will be cut from 12 weeks to eight for the over-50s and clinically vulnerable because of concern over the variant, he said.

https://twitter.com/zackfox/status/1392984976711376898

5 Likes

Well that’s sort of my point, Im not convinced they are spreading it.