COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

So North American deer testing positive for Covid antibodies in January 2020 is not a big deal because it’s conventional wisdom that the virus was circulating undetected for a long time. Humans testing positive in October 2019 is ridiculous because of course we’d know if this thing was circulating in Italy then.

Do I have that right?

But it happened to mutate to be more deadly in a region with notorious wet markets that sell bats and pangolins, which have known viruses that very closely resemble covid - so much so there was a lab dedicated to studying said viruses in the same city where it blew up?

We’re getting into complicated ethical territory with boosters; WHO has called for a moratorium on them until end of Sept.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02158-6

No I think the criticism of that study is wrong earlier in the thread. It’s likely a shit study too, but I haven’t seen that one yet. The Italy one was something I’d seen before.

Theres a bit of a difference between “the virus was circulating” and “fully 11% of the population has been infected.”

But yeah, I wouldn’t be shocked if there was some COVID kicking around Italy at the time. Certainly seems like it was in Germany and France in January. Quite possible the Italian study was flawed but there was still COVID in the country.

1 Like

This is a blatant lie.

Oh fuck right off with that bullshit.

3 Likes

Thread captains working hard this morning.

2 Likes

There’s also a difference between “11% of this sample of people with preexisting respiratory conditions tested positive” and “11% of the population of Italy was positive”.

Edit: to be clear I don’t have an opinion about the validity of either the deer or the Italy study. It seems likely in my uninformed opinion that it’s a testing issue in both cases. But it doesn’t make sense to me to discredit the Italian study because we’d know if it was spreading undetected but write off the deer study because of course there’s going to be undetected spread long before we recorded cases.

1 Like

Oh piss off.

1 Like

OK fair point but it’s still a pretty sizable number. And of people who’d be most vulnerable. We’d expect to see some sign of pneumonia cases increasing.

Again - the virus was somehow circulating globally, then went back home to within a few miles of its likely place of origin to mutate into something more deadly.

Think about that. Just apply basic logic to everything we know.

Maybe the Wuhan lab was studying the milder version and accidentally created a more deadly version, which escaped. That is at least possible I guess. But they’d had to have known about the milder version.

I got that weird nasty dry cough in December 2019 - which went around all over the country. I almost never get sick, and I’ve never had a cough that lasted almost a month like that. Maybe whatever that was triggers covid antibody detectors for some reason. I got tested for antibodies in May just out of curiosity. I was negative. But also antibody tests were a joke then, and the antibodies could have worn off by then.

@microbet

This is the type of shit that Churchill has been banned for, and let’s go over why. We’ve talked about this study. This article is a preprint with no peer review and contains super unlikely results.

But the reason why @churchill gets banned isn’t that. The reason why he catches bans for this type of shit is that he knows the authors of this paper redid their study and the early data was mysteriously left out. You can find it here.

That’s bad faith trolling.

1 Like

Wastewater studies seem to be always finding crazy amounts of antibodies everywhere - and pushing timelines for first appearance back months or over a year.

Kind of makes you wonder if some sort of national poop storage program would be useful for future poop studies.

1 Like

Yeah maybe, if they knew to look for it. A group comprised of a bunch of 60+ year old smokers would probably have a lot of pneumonia cases either way. It’s also possible that it was a less dangerous strain that circulated first.

I feel like the Italy study was dismissed early on in the pandemic and then never really revisited. And like, some kind of stuff over sensitive test that picked up different coronavirus antibodies makes sense, but doesn’t that seem like it would be really easy to account for? Like, just test a bunch of different samples of coronavirus antibodies and see what dings positive. Or take the samples from this test that were positive and run them through different tests.

I’ll volunteer Mar-a-lago for this.

3 Likes

Circulate this on Facebook if you use Facebook.

No one’s asking you to. People are allowed to post relevant links for discussion.

What’s your opinion of how North American deer were testing positive for Covid antibodies in January 2020?

2 Likes

Antibody studies are really difficult to get right. Antibodies have largely the same structure one from another, so if your antibody test is testing for some of the conserved parts and not the variable parts of the antibodies, you’re going to get a ton of false positives. It’s why the fact that the Italian study has no negative controls, where known-covid-negative samples are tested to see the false positive rate of the test, is a huge red flag.

5 Likes