COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

More than 30 million of the most vulnerable should receive a third dose, vaccine experts are advising.

They will include all adults aged 50 and over, and anyone younger who qualifies for a flu jab.

This will include both Pfizer and AZ vaccinated peeps (larger proportion of over 50’s have Pfizer than population as Pfizer was the first approved vaccine in the UK)

Onion

1 Like

I read that as an airline joke.

1 Like

The Beaverton is literally our onion.

3 Likes

Can’t imagine why cases are rising -

5 Likes

I liked both of those posts and enjoyed them in this thread.

Cue more funny magnet videos.

I love the magnet videos.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1410366385184677892

“I don’t understand why people won’t get vaccinated,” said McCoy, Mercy Springfield president. “I haven’t heard a good reason yet.”

Mercy is planning for the pandemic to continue, though McCoy said “we’re certainly hopeful that we get a reprieve.”

Cox’s Edwards appealed to a skeptical public to consider whether to vaccinate not in terms of political discourse, social media misinformation or judgmental attitudes, but in terms of personal trust between an individual and their primary doctor.

He said he’s in favor of “the idea of trying to remove all these competing, angry sort of sentiments and go to that one person that really cares about your health care, that doesn’t judge you, is your doctor — not Dr. Fauci, you know, but your doctor. I think that’s a message that we’re learning in our community.”

Jesus Christ.

I’m on team “stupid is as stupid does”. If whatever voodoo you believe (religion, Q, whatnot) makes you too dumb to get vaccinated then it’s your own damn fault.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1410376325303468040?s=21

Seems bad. My 5 year old is supposed to be starting school in a month. Is it conceivable that I could talk the pediatrician into vaccinating her off label rather than waiting 6 months for the FDA to approve for kids? Doesn’t seem like something that would ever happen.

Seems unlikely. I guess you could give it a try. If pediatrician says no, then you’re no worse off than you are now.

There is no way on god’s green earth you would ever talk a doctor into this.

1 Like

Are there any specific laws on the off label prescribing of Covid vaccine specifically? I wouldn’t be surprised if there are . If there are not, then it seems like it would be no different from prescribing any other medication off-label (which happens all the time).

The only risk to the doc would be from an adverse outcome from the vaccine. That seems quite unlikely based on what we know so far. It also seem like a dumb professional risk to take when approval is imminent. But I wouldn’t be shocked if there was some rare pediatrician out there who would do it. In fact, I’d bet there is at least one doc out there with access to vaccine that has given to their own underage kids. If one is willing to do that, then doing it for a patient is not a huge ethical leap (but it’s still a bit of a step up).

To reiterate, I think that it is very unlikely that bobman can pull this off. I’m just saying the chance is non-zero. But it is pretty damn close.

Apparently not possible due to lack of full approval for the vaccine.

https://providernews.seattlechildrens.org/exceptions-to-covid-19-vaccine-age-limitations/

That’s useful. And I guess it does apply to the COVID vaccine specifically, so it’s not the same as any other off-label use.

I guess what we really need to know is what happen to someone who does prescribe an EUA drug off-label. What is the consequence? Jail? Loss of licensure? Obviously if it’s any of those things, no one is going to do it. But considering how near-impossible it is for a doctor to lose a license, I wouldn’t be surprised if the penalty is a wrist slap. But I’m just spitballin’ here. I think that is the key would be to know what the consequence for breaking that specific rule is. Anyone know?

I think they would be at least risking their ability to carry malpractice insurance but I have no specific information in that regard.

From a PR stand point it’s a disaster for the doctor if anything goes wrong. Covid is going to get a lot more attention than any other treatment being done off label.

Yeah, could be. I think more likely is that it would jack up their rates. Even doctors who settle malpractice cases can still get insured.

Maybe. But I don’t think pediatricians are that dependent on PR. There are plenty of places that are hurting for pediatricians so much, they would still have no shortage of patients unless they straight up started molesting kids (or something equally heinous). Most people just take their kid to an accessible doc that takes their insurance. PR is lower on the list of considerations.

Also the EV calc for “PR” is complex. If something goes wrong, then it is bad, but if nothing goes wrong (which is highly likely), then they are the courageous, cutting-edge doc who put their patient’s interest ahead of their own. That’s good PR.

Of course, if negative PR isn’t going to hurt, then positive PR isn’t really going to help.

Nevertheless, this discussion isn’t that useful. We’re all agree the chance is between slim and none. Trying to pinpoint where it is on that tiny continuum doesn’t really help bobman with his situation. However, I would be interested in finding out what exact consequence a pediatrician with his own practice (so no employer to worry about) would face if he/she does it.

1 Like