COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Tons of people refuse to take the flu vaccine. I know otherwise sane, non-anti-vaxx people who won’t take it. It’s depressing.

I kind of remember when I was young and dumb being worried the flu vaccine could give me the flu. And then there were years where it was like yeah I should get it but it’s a pain to schedule and your arm is sore afterwards. Now I get it religiously.

I don’t mean to pick on this post specifically, but it’s representative of a lot of recent takes that are just way too pessimistic.

Look, we now have not one but two vaccines already approved and shipping that have 95% effectiveness. Think about how incredible that is! Of course it’s going to take some time to get everybody vaccinated and there will be some kinks in the system to work out. But overall things are looking up and we have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season.

What people want most is for the world to get back to normal. They’re tired of lockdowns and school closures. And as we do return to normal the pent-up demand for movies and restaurants and everything else is just going to be incredible. Except for hardcore militant anti-vaxxers, everybody will quickly get on board with vaccines once it has some time to be seen as safe. Trying to get people to wear masks and stay away from each other obviously isn’t working so immunity is the only answer and when people realize that they’ll get the jab.

I really believe we will be pretty much back to normal within 4 to 6 months. I like Dr. Fauci and he’s a pretty smart guy, but even he seems to be a little too pessimistic on this. And the stock market obviously agrees that this has been just a temporary setback for the world and things are going to get better.

One important thing most people are forgetting is that the 2020 Olympics are going to happen in July of 2021! By that time Covid, with all its sickness and death and stress and loneliness, will be largely over. This Olympics will be a glorious worldwide celebration of the end of all that suffering.

8 Likes

Goddamit took me 3 paragraphs to look at the sn.

1 Like

Why do mutli-millionaire bankers jump off the ledge during a stock market crash when they’re mortgage free and rich beyond the wildest dreams they had as school leavers?

Genuine question, not a riddle.

I have no idea what this is supposed to do with being hyper-social and I’m not sure I accept the premise that someone who’s still mega-rich is jumping off a ledge.

Based on Churchill’s description of what closed, which was pretty thorough, I would lean towards schools and daycares as my hypothesis for what was a major vector of spread that escaped the lockdown.

I like to think I’d jump on a grenade if I had to save some of my men in a war. Assuming I don’t have kids and some of them do. Now would I really do that? Who knows probably not. But people have. At least the impulse is there for me.

That’s got to be some kind of weird social-empathetic instinct, which goes beyond say parental instinct or pair-bonding, and is unique to hyper-social animals. It’s also why we call some people sociopaths. They lack that instinct. All cats except lions are sociopaths by birth.

1 Like

I agree there is. But I don’t agree that’s much at play (if at all) with the enlistment rejects.

I’ve never had a flu shot. Haven’t gotten around to it, don’t like getting shots, and I barely ever get sick. The last time I remember anything more than congestion is 2007 (I remember because it came on while watching Grindhouse in the theater).

I guess I will in the future. I’ve been donating blood lately, so I guess I can take the little needle.

You’d be drawing conclusions NERVTAG and your Twitter source didn’t draw. I mean may be they adjusted the postive effect on R for that scenario

Oh I see what you’re hung up on now. My point was everyone went to sign up for the war after Pearl Harbor - a decidedly unselfish act. The anecdotal reports about rejects killing themselves (which I’ve heard but never confirmed) was just to illustrate how strong the drive to enlist was.

Oh I see too - I read that as being the thrust of your argument not an incidental fact.

I mean, yeah, minor things like that but nothing big afaik.

Right and a lot of people who haven’t gotten covid yet and never get sick probably put covid vaccination in the same bucket to some degree as the flu shot.

Try getting a power red - they take out the red blood cells, then put the plasma and other stuff back in. Twice. It looks like some inception machine. You can feel the cold fluid pumping back into your arm. Also your lips go numb for some reason - which the red cross person failed to inform me of ahead of time.

I kept thinking like if this machine accidentally makes a little bubble - do I just die on the spot? Just have to assume they’ve worked that out by now.

1 Like

It is unnerving.

Since I’m blogging here. I effed up my shingles vaccine. I got one right before covid times and never went back for the second. I’m afraid I’ll have to start over. And that one hurt for like a week.

1 Like

Dude - get the second one. Just go to Walgreens. It’s fine. Shingles sucks from everyone I’ve talked to.

Walgreens has it? I have Kaiser. They have my records and stuff. I think I should just go there.

And yeah, shingles sucks. A bunch of people I know have had it.

I did it at Walgreens and I have Anthem.

I’m gonna call Kaiser right now!

1 Like