COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

sorry, i am not anti-hunter or anti-guns, but if shooting living things is your idea of heaven, then you might be a psycho.

4 Likes

He does have a significant qualification. He’s from Canada.

1 Like

Kurt Eichenwald has been completely FOS on many things in the past so I wouldn’t necessarily believe anything that he tweets.

2 Likes

There’s a very high likelihood they paid someone who raises game birds to put out 10-20 quail that morning along the area they were going to hunt - be it a preserve or ranch/farm land somewhere. I seriously doubt Ted Cruz is heading out for a day where they may not see one bird.

http://topflighthunting.com/index.htm

Some hand-raised birds don’t even fly when the dogs flush them - if they’re too habituated to people or haven’t been taught how to be a quail at all - which is what this reviewer is talking about.

2 Likes

Talk about kink shaming…

2 Likes

anticlimactic

But the bar owners continued to defy the orders, calling the bar an “autonomous zone” and allowing people to eat and drink inside. Large crowds rallied outside to support them.
…
One of the bar owners, Danny Presti, is also accused of hitting a sheriff’s officer with his car, dragging him 100 yards and breaking both of his legs.

A now former employee at a Wisconsin medical center “intentionally removed” 57 vials of a coronavirus vaccine from refrigeration, forcing officials to throw out nearly 500 doses, according to an internal investigation.

Aurora Medical Center officials had initially suspected the Moderna vaccines, which must be kept between 36° to 46°F, had inadvertently been left out at the Grafton hospital on Dec. 26. But an investigation found the individual “acknowledged that they intentionally removed the vaccine from refrigeration,”

1 Like

3903 dead today per covid tracker…

Gut feel says that some of that is likely catching up on some deaths over Christmas that didn’t get tabulated until now, but it’s still horrible, obviously.

Czech government is setting up an online system where people register an account and get notified via SMS or email of the date and place of their vaccination.

Six tier system:

1. People over 65 and those with certain chronic illnesses
  2. Health care workers
  3. Workers and residents at elder care and nursing home facilities
  4. Critical infrastructure workers (That’s me!)
  5. Employees of public health protection bodies
  6. All other insured people interested in vaccinations

Should be running January 15th.

So far, only 9,750 doses have been administered since December 27th. Another 19,500 came in Wednesday.

You are assigning a lot of competency to a lot of incompetent people.

I could prove a dozen personal antidotes about CVS not being able to properly fill prescriptions correctly.

But I am sure they will crush this entirely new thing thrown on top. As will everyone else.

You really are sweet summer childing all this.

I appreciate the optimism but it seems fairly misplaced.

Vaccine rollout going well. Apparently this pharmacist didn’t get the memo on cracking one vial at a time.

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1344526005365399552?s=19

I’m not going to blame an individual pharmacist for screwing up (although You Had One Job meme seems appropriate). Just like if a few CVS or Walgreens screw up. That is entirely expected to happen.

What is needed is some sort of coordinated plan and set of protocols for the entirety of the administration of the vaccine to millions of people. I am sure it is far more complex than I envision and I think it is darned complex.

I am genuinely confused as to what you think I think.

I did say “assuming non-idiots” are running things.

That should tell you it’s not a certainty.

Nevertheless, as far as the actual amount of waste, it may be a bit more under real large scale conditions, but my point was that wasted doses from opened vials are just not going to be a big factor in the grand scheme of things. That is not where the mismanagement would manifest itself to have max impact. If that’s a problem, then they are likely making errors that cause much larger problems that will make wasted doses from open vials meaningless.

I also don’t understand how you think that people opting out will drag down the efficiency significantly. If anything, less people to vaccinate will be less overwhelming to the infrastructure. That is not to say that having people opt out isn’t a problem; it is. However, the problem is not that it will making vaccinating the people who do want vaccines less efficient.

70s guy with metastatic cancer prob got covid from his ex wife told me that at least he got to say good bye thoroughly to her and gave me a wink. Nothin but respect for him

8 Likes

24hrs later…

California meanwhile became the second state to confirm a case of the new strain of the virus, considered to be highly contagious. The first case was confirmed in Colorado.

Must now start testing to see when / if the new variant is already dominant strain in CA and plan health care accordingly

1 Like

In the emergency room with my dad (hes fine, he fell and messed up his arm).

Hospital being very strict, i wont be able to go in with him.

3 from 3 for hanging noses with the other patients.

9 Likes

No that’s still stupid Churchill. I can drive by people waiting to get into nightclubs bud. Strains aren’t why my area had more cases. Stupidity is.

Trip report on my COVID illness: I’ve been pretty ill, but nothing really bad. Day 2 - 4 were the worst, with fever, headaches, muscle pain, long hours of poor sleep. After the initial period things went up and down for another week or so, with coughing, a severe cold, loss of taste and smell, fatigue. Frequently the symptoms receded, to return half a day later or so.

Throughout I really didn’t feel like eating at all, but was careful enough to get a little bit in. I bought an oxygen saturation monitor and my oxygen levels never dropped below 95%, not even after physical efforts like walking the stairs. Most of the time I measured it was 98% or higher. Not even sure the 95% was an accurate measurement, as it went up quickly. Total amount of sick days: 12.

I’m in my 40’s with a well regulated type 1 diabetes, so I wasn’t too much at risk but still happy I got nothing worse than this. My wife recovered a little bit quicker, and our youngest kid (5) was ill for 1,5 days or so. Our oldest (8) did not get sick and tested negative on a PCR test the day after I recovered, so it’s really anyone’s guess if he has gone through completely asymptomatically, or that he miraculously avoided it when both parents were infectious.

As far as we know, and as far as the contact tracing yielded, we have not infected anybody else. The adult contact at risk due to being in somewhat close contact with my wife 2 days before she had her first symptoms, did not develop the disease. My wife wearing her mask might have prevented her from passing it on.

31 Likes