COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

The clear bias comment and blow up afterwards was completely unnecessary and inappropriate

Herd immunity or partial herd immunity?

I don’t think they’re biased or deliberately lying like you keep saying. It’s fucking annoying that the people making a good-faith effort to understand this disease get called liars at the drop of a hat by people who have no clue what they’re talking about.

2 Likes

Schmear transmission confirmed

17 Likes

Guys it’s really weird, the Pfizer I got yesterday gave me a pretty shitty hangover.

4 Likes
1 Like

Umm, does this question even matter from a practical perspective? Like, if you’re close enough to someone to have sex with them you are also by implication close enough to breathe on them…

I think this depends on what you mean by sexually transmitted. Generally if you’re having sex with someone the droplets are going to be flying, so in that sense you’ll transmit it during sex. However, you’re probably not transmitting it because of the genital contact or fluids.

Would you say mononucleosis is sexually transmitted?

As a 14 year old nerd that had mono, I can confirm it’s not sexually transmitted.

8 Likes

I realize you’re joking, but just to be clear, sexually transmitted doesn’t mean that sex is the only way. It just means that it is one way.

1 Like

I mean, it’s obviously a moot point unless everyone is wearing a gas mask.

tho

3 Likes

That was kind of my point. Whether it is sexually transmitted or not is kind of irrelevant if you can easily spread it by breathing on someone.

Yeah, that sucks. What I tell everyone in this situation is that the silver lining is that if you delay the second dose, you will probably* end up with more immunity after the second dose. Obviously in between the two doses, you will have less.

*I don’t think this is proven but there is evidence from other vaccines (including one COVID vaccine) that this very likely the case.

1 Like

With AZ the longest interval they studied was 12 wks, IIRC. And there was more immunity after the second dose than if you got the second dose at 6 wks. Of course, between the two doses, you’re less protected.

As a practical matter, I’d hope you can get #2 within 12 wks.

1 Like

We are doing 4 months betweeen shots in Canada.

We’re (UK) are using 12 week gap for Pfizer. I’m seem to recall immunity starting to fade after 8 weeks but still good til 12 weeks before top-up. And as Melk referred to, ‘real life’ studies show you’re better waiting a longer for the 2nd dose

Likely all will need a booster 5 or 6 months after 2nd dose anyway, so I’d prepare yourself for that

One problem you might run into (I’ve seen it posted in this thread) is some sites will in fact tell people it’s too long and you have to “start over”. That’s wrong as far as I can tell, but it doesn’t matter. Go ahead and do it. Just make sure you get the same vaccine as the first. Since the doses are identical, what they consider your new first dose will actually be your second dose.

And if you’re really worried I suppose you can go ahead and get a third. There is no evidence that would do anything bad to you.

This is not true. Lots of things can transfer through sexual contact but aren’t typically classified as STIs. Mono is spread primarily through oral secretions.