COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Yeah, it probably still would happen. Capsaicin binds temperature receptors, not taste or smell receptors.

1 Like

My friend who had COVID and this symptom ate some raw jalapeños to test this exact thing. She said it was extremely bizarre to have something burning the shit out of your mouth but you can’t taste anything.

4 Likes

It blows my mind that the spiciest thing in the Old World before 1500 was black pepper. Imagine Indian curry, Thai or Szechuan without chili peppers.

I think I read that Eupoean food (for non peasants) was much sweeter for this reason. The kinds of “seasoning” available was stuff like honey.

What the hell was Italian food like before pasta from China and Tomatoes from the Americas?

I don’t know what Italian food was like, but French food before the arrival of the Medicis was supposed to have been very bland.

I dont think “bland” is accurate. The rich used a lot of cinnamon and cloves and stuff like that I think. I think given today’s culinary tastes we wouldn’t find it bland but we would find it “cloying”. They basically didn’t have the tools or knowledge to balance out flavors the way we would recognize in our good food. Like think of how much citrus acid balances out and brightens flavors in contemporary cooking.

Some should send your pony some info.

Somebody posted a link in one of the older COVID thread, but apparenly this is seen with other viral illnesses as well. I forget how frequently, though.

You’re right to make the class distinction. I’m sure even upper class English food at that time was fairly palatable - huge hog or venison roasts washed down with gallons of ale or mead - but peasant food was dire.

The English also had the thing where poorer people would black out their teeth so they looked like the rich who had access to sugar.

And the whole fake mole thing. White people are fucking weird man.

3 Likes

Poor people would have some terrible food in the winter, but also some pretty great food in season. The expensive wild organic salmon that cost us a paycheck at Whole Foods would have been readily available to some medieval peasants.

Mustard and horseradish/wasabi were available before contact with the Americas.

There were wars fought over spices. That tells me more than enough about the food back then.

The Brits didn’t take Indian cuisine back to the UK because theirs was superior.

1 Like

I bought some wild salmon in Big Sur that had just come out of the river. Best fish ever.

2 Likes

Looks like a lab in the Czech Republic discovered another mutation.

Here’s hoping our cases don’t spike again. We’ve been doing so well over the last two weeks. 14.6% of the population has had at least one vaccine shot.

1 Like

I know that the first mass NH clinic was J&J. Did they tell everyone who got jabbed today at the racetrack to come back in 3 weeks?

Moderna

How long did it take from the time you got in line until you left?

Will vaccines still work?

Current vaccines were designed around earlier versions of coronavirus, but scientists believe they should still work, although perhaps not quite as well.

A recent study suggests the Brazilian variant may be resisting antibodies in people who should have some immunity because they have caught and recovered from an earlier version of coronavirus.

Early lab results, however, suggest the Pfizer vaccine can protect against the new variants, although slightly less effectively.

Two new coronavirus vaccines that could be approved soon - one from Novavax and another from Janssen - appear to offer some protection too.

Data from the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine team suggests it protects just as well against the new UK variant. It offers less protection against the South Africa variant - although it should still protect against severe illness.

Early results from Moderna suggest its vaccine is effective against the South Africa variant, although the immune response may not be as strong or long-lasting.

Variants could emerge in the future that are different again.

Do we have any further info on Moderna other than the bolded above, early pre-variant, Nov or Dec 2020 company announcement that it might be almost as good against one of the variants?

Like the US pulled up AstraZenica because the agreed cutoff for studies was mid Feb but Fauci moved the goalposts to mid March 2021 stats - but where’s Moderna stats? Been quiet since last year where they stated they’ll work on a update to the vaccine??