COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

*with masks the answer is yes for me to that poll.

2 Likes

I voted donā€™t know. Probably not 100% of activities, but some activities will depend on how case counts/actual data on how vaccines perform/long-term effects in kids progresses from here. I think its a lot, perhaps too much, to expect America to put their lives somewhat on hold for another year if the vaccine performs as we thinks it will because kids arent vaccinated yet. It seems like kids are pretty low (not zero) risk for complications. I dont think it is too much to ask for masks and, in certain situations, distancing in public until vaccines for kids happen (Im assuming most of the go back to normal votes are with mask caveats, so didnt mean that to come off as scolding or anything)

I voted ā€œno I will not waitā€, but I also have no children and have no regular interaction with children (thankfully). People in similar situations might be skewing results a bit.

Are we still batting 1.000 for covid only hitting turd leaders?

I guess that depends on your feelings about Macron.

Yes because they are all turds.

5 Likes

Depends on when chidren will be vaccinated.

Wat? Kids are low risk (now that it suits olds who have a vaccine)? Stats not changed, kids <12yrs always been low risk

Are we good to unlock 'em and OFS schools now, ITT? Like let them have their lives back now your precious soul has been saved.

NB - kids are more at risk with the UK variant - more infections, spread easier by the younger population too, if you were bothered by that

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a conflict here. These are CDC guidelines and CDC has promoted OFS with precautions.

That said, to be clear the CDC didnā€™t explicitly say kids, that was me reading the messaging in context (you can now hug your grandkids, etc)

1 Like

It is certainly going to be frustrating if this ends up with a second winter of not taking kids to indoor recreational activities because masks are too much of a burden on an adult population that also only wants to get vaccinated at about a 60% clip.

Depends on the space. I dont expect social distancing to be permanent at bars or sporting events, but seems sort of silly to go back to crowding each other in stores or sitting together in waiting areas at the doctorā€™s office.

Interesting. Every appointment that Iā€™ve had here since COVID started has moved from a waiting room model to a call ahead of your appointment, check in on the phone, and then they call you when it is time to arrive model. Maybe thatā€™s not sustainable, but sure beats waiting in the germfest of the pediatrician waiting room.

Which privileges people who own a car, especially during winter. And also people who have phones.

I get that, but has been true for non car accessible appointments in the city as well.

In other words, itā€™s roughly the same proportion as the general population

• Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 73.6% (2017-2018)

Source: FastStats - Overweight Prevalence

On the plus side, maybe this will give states an excuse to expand eligibility to BMI>=25.

There may be a road trip to Connecticut in my future.

Itā€™s beneficial for people waiting in the waiting room too.

Republican willingness is improving.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1369090559873216512

Havenā€™t really been following this thread but was curious what the mind set is for people who have been vaccinated. Is it just back to business as usual? Wife and I are both vaccinated but we are still being pretty cautious and limiting going out and our social interaction to a circle of others who have been vaccinated or families in our daycare class, since our kids already interact. Both my parents and in laws have been vaccinated now and they seem ready to be OPEN FOR BUSINESS, although my parents much more so (we FaceTimed them yesterday and they had a big group of people in their yard, supposedly everyone is vaccinated). CDC says some interaction with unvaccinated people is ok but Iā€™m not confident we have enough data to draw conclusions about safety to others yet.