COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I assumed the point of that photo was nobody buying Goya for being MAGA loving crazies.

The entire section in that first photo was Goya. All the black and kidney beans were cleared out, but some of the less popular products were still available.

Grocery stores didn’t start getting picked clean here until about a week later.

The Goya boycott was after the pandemic started.

1 Like

Time is loop for me.

1 Like

Pretty sure the point of the photo is that Upper East Siders think black-eyed peas and macaroni shells are too gauche.

I remember the pasta aisle at my grocery store only had gluten-free pasta at one point, because even in a crisis no one will eat that crap.

3 Likes

ditto vegan shit

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1366510372048408576

Weren’t you just telling us a few days ago that the CDC’s warnings of a plateau were ludicrous?

I beg to differ. Costco apple pie is apparently vegan. I’d eat that all day.

Edit: Oh. You meant pasta. Nevermind. Upstairs neighbor moving out or insanely restive so little sleep for me.

I don’t see how you could have misunderstood this, but that was Dr Topol’s description, not my own. I continue to think it likely that aggregate case counts will increase sharply soon, and that the apparent plateau is a mirage caused by superimposing the epidemic curves for regular COVID and B117. (And there are some good graphics in that Twitter thread illustrating it.)

First doses looking pretty good:

I kinda assumed you agreed with him. Seems reasonable given that you’re posting his takes without comment.

Nope, my views are as stated above. And for future reference, I don’t typically censor posting things I find interesting if they in perfect alignment with my beliefs.

And FWIW, I got the sense that Walensky and Fauci were trying to signal that they think cases are going to go up, but that the “leveling off” description was decreed from on high. It’s not really an insightful prediction.

Moderna and Pfizer are not just relying on pharmacies, they’re relying on county and state health departments running clinics. These clinics are not running at capacity right now due to supply constraints. I absolutely believe that we’re going to keep expanding. We’re currently averaging 1.82 million vaccinations a day per wapo. It’ll be over 2 million a day in the next week or so (the last few days except for Sunday were all over 2 million). Completely reasonable that it gets to about 3 million a day by April. If it wasn’t for the Blizzard/texas clusterfuck we’d probably already be over 2 million a day on average.

1 Like

Yeah all the clinics around me offer the vaccine and their issue is lack of supply. My sisters clinic keeps running out.

I still have a bunch of canned shit. I was looking through it a while ago and some had already expired, what the hell I thought the point of canned food was it lasts forever. Still going to eat it, lol expiration dates.

I was one of the early complainers about vaccine rollout pace. I was wrong and think we are doing a very good job. Yes it could be better. Oklahoma has done over 1m vaccine doses so far. That is beyond my wildest imagination back in December. Doing nearly 2m/day nationally is pretty good also. That’s a pace that can get all the adults vaccinated pretty quick especially because some significant portion of the population won’t get it.

In related news I got my 2nd jab today.

22 Likes

I complained about it too until I realized the problem was lack of supply. Even in the beginning when the supply was plentiful, the states knew that was it for a while, so they weren’t in a huge rush.

Of course they can’t just come out and tell us that, because our delicate little brains can’t handle the truth I guess.

1 Like

Most dates on cans are more of a “best by” date than an expiration date and related to food quality rather than safety.

1 Like