COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1363485667083366404

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1363485669465743368

9 Likes

germ theory still in play!

10 Likes

My county in Oregon is back down to June-ish levels of covid, and Iā€™m pretty happy about it. My old county is getting close to that. Itā€™s remarkable to me how fast weā€™ve come down off the Christmas peak. The first two waves seemed to take twice as long or more to fall off this much.

2 Likes

Ya. Itā€™s insanity. The right wing brain worms are so fucked up sometimes.

1 Like

Youā€™re not wrong. If the risk of an activity goes down 20-fold, it has a major impact on the risk-benefit analysis! If they want to give credible advice, public health authorities should be starting from square one on what they tell vaccinated people they should and shouldnā€™t do, rather than starting from the unvaccinated recommendations and tinkering. Otherwise, vaccinated people will just ignore them.

2 Likes

Somethingā€™s rising but not the cases. Florida might be first to indicate - I think the numbers are 6 days out of date (14 Feb) and variant covid doubling time is every 10 days, according to Helix

My post-vaxx expectation is:

(a) Iā€™ll be able to loosen up a bit. Maybe visit my parents, hang out with a few other vaccinated friends, etc.

(b) Depending on when I am able to get the shot relative to others, things might not be true ā€œback to normalā€ because the local government regs still might not allow for really large events (indoor concerts, professional sports at full capacity, packed movie theaters for a blockbuster new releases). So, a lot of the things Iā€™ve missed during the past year might not be available.

do you know of any source that translates these percentages into raw SGTF test counts? Itā€™s hard to understand how the overall decline in cases lines up with the increasing SGTF share when the data is presented this way, and I think itā€™s really the trend in the raw case number thatā€™s important. Even more basically, I initially understood the 10-day doubling time figure to be for raw case counts, but is it actually talking about share of tests?? obviously a big difference.

Also, did they spring Rebekah Jones out of prison to do their dataviz???

1 Like

Mostly this for me. After the second dose for all of my household members in early March, our circle will expand to full maskless indoor interaction with other fully vaccinated people. Iā€™ll start doing things like getting my drivers license renewed and my car inspected and going to non-essential medical appointments.

No desire to dine indoors (not sure when thatā€™ll feel non-insane) but when summer comes will I hit up a brewery with an outdoor patio? You bet.

I also plan on renting a house on the beach and traveling there in late spring, following that same rule set.

If Iā€™m a fish Iā€™m a fish, but Iā€™ve been in 3 other buildings than my own home in coming up on a year, and one of them was the vax site.

We all have to sink or swim on our own, nobody is out there to help us. I hope Iā€™m choosing right but at this point Iā€™m at peace with it.

My personal risk was low, and I did it mostly to keep from killing others. With a 20 fold decrease in that risk, for me, the die will soon be cast.

9 Likes

I donā€™t read this as an attack. My main concern all along was killing my parents, friends and neighbors. My own health was always secondary to that. Hell I pretty much assumed I would get it anyways with my wife working in a covid icu the entire pandemic.

Maybe it is selfish for me to say I will rejoin society (with a mask) once i am fully vaxed. Is it fair others will get it after me? No probably not. But giving up a year of my life to try and protect people who largely havenā€™t given a shit about themselves or the people around them has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. I donā€™t want to do it a day longer than I need to.

3 Likes

And also to add Iā€™ll obviously be keeping abreast of the situation and as more data comes in with regard to vaccine efficacy, mutations etc. and remain flexible. Ldo mask wearing everywhere interacting with the public.

Youā€™re probably right, but I do think that there are a good number of people who think that once they are vaccinated, they donā€™t have to worry at all about spreading it to anyone and so the mask just makes absolutely no sense. And itā€™s not some lie they are telling themselves, they truly believe it.

Also any appeals you might make to setting a good example donā€™t convince them either. Because they genuinely donā€™t see value in that.

Challenging the requirements of businesses is an entirely different issue. I didnā€™t realize you were talking about that. I was referring to situations where mask wearing is not strictly mandatory, but itā€™s such a minor inconvenience that it is a good thing to just do anyway.

Yes it is.

But against a backdrop of the most incompetent covid response and the highest death toll (c.120,000) in Europe itā€™s the sound of the stable door being bolted when one of the horses has already escaped.

1 Like

Yeah, like walking down the street. Or going indoors in places where they donā€™t have or enforce a mask rule.

But even in the cases you describe I donā€™t think the motivation is always selfishness. Some of the time people are just too dumb to understand why you should follow the mask rules even if vaccinated as they donā€™t actually understand the benefit to anyone else. That level of thought is beyond their capability. Theyā€™re not selfish; theyā€™re stupid.

My sisters arenā€™t getting the vaccine -_-

One works as a guidance counselor at a school. The other works with developmentally disabled people. Theyā€™re paranoid of long-term effects because some nurse said that it would make them infertile. Canā€™t talk them out of it. Ugh.

Well lots of them actually are selfish. Even most of them. Just not all.

Hereā€™s the only link I have but Helix seem to be the US government outsourced monitor of variants Public Health | Helix

And this is not a source Iā€™d usually post but does give some hard numbers and graphsā€¦

Are places going to make it a condition of employment in the near future?

No idea.