COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

You keep the kids home to primarily protect OTHERS. Its a novel concept. Sacrifice for the greater good. I bet if we had the attitude in the '40s we could have stopped Hitler from taking over the world.

oh, wait.

2 Likes

Very different processes I believe (see that yahoo article I attached in the last couple of days).

We live in a ME society. While a 66/85 virus (infection/severe disease) will do a great job for the community/society, individuals want to get the shot(s) and YOLO baby.

edit: I also wouldn’t be surprised at all if a 2nd J&J would get the immunity up close to Moderna/Pfizer. Its very common to use two doses to maximize immunity.

YOLO was pretty much my attitude in the beginning. But I do care about protecting others and thought even if I were pos and asymptomatic, as long as I masked up at stores and social distanced others would be fine. People here convinced me otherwise and I now know they were right because my friend’s grandmother who just passed away from covid certainly got it from her son (who was cautious), but who in turn, must’ve gotten from a yahoo like I was who wasn’t taking proper precautions

But even with all that said, I still think the hype is at least somewhat overblown. A certain % of people are gonna die from any virus. This one just happens to be higher. I do think there’s light at the end of the tunnel now that we have a competent president who’s leading by example and letting the scientists take over

1 Like

Well, yeah. Don’t we all?

I don’t think of myself as super-selfish, but these last 10.5 months have kinda sucked.

I want to do things I did before: Go to bar trivia, have people over to my house to play a board game, go visit my 90-something year old grandmother, plan a vacation to some place I’ve never been, etc.

My take on the J&J vaccine is that if they were reporting this back in November and were first, I’d be trumpeting it as a massive win for humanity and a sign that we’re going to get through this, but it’s kinda meh now that there are three out there offering better community protection. If there’s something about their production and distribution that gives them an advantage, that may be good, but I also worry that by the time they get to appreciable distribution we’ll already be doing 2+ million doses a day in the US with Pfizer and Moderna. Maybe they’ll be of greater help to poorer nations that can’t buy and bully their way to the front of the line with the first vaccines?

2 Likes

That’s about what I said to my wife, that poorer nations will probably get stuck with J&J but that’s still massively better than the status quo.

1 Like

And yet over a half million in the US are dead and it’s a mystery as to why.

Have a chitchat with the guy in the mirror at the gym.

6 Likes

I do too, I have a granddaughter due in April and I desperately want to see her as a newborn, but if I can get the “good” shot I’m taking it and continuing to live like it’s 2020 until I get a more effective shot or when the community incidence drops to a safe level.

I just don’t have faith in my fellow citizens to not YOLO with the lesser shot or even comprehend that until this thing is down to very low levels that some precautions should continue regardless of vaccine status.

Who doesn’t?

Fuck. Another year of this will fuck me up even more.

By the time it starts to maybe ok to eat indoors, it will be good enough weather to stay outside this spring.

We all really need to be prepared for an intermediate state in 2021.

If you and your family are all vaccinated then maybe-maybe you can YOLO in private. But out in public we should maintain some vigilance if nothing out of concern/courtesy of those that haven’t been vaccinated yet.

We could have all the vaccines in the world, but it won’t matter if LA can’t get it stuck into people’s arms faster.

Jesus dude stop. This is terrible posting.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say

Is this an example of good posting?

I understand why the “China virus” is offensive. But the “South African variant” doesn’t seem as offensive. I guess. I would have a hard time trying to articulate why. I think Dr. Fauci referred to it as #117 or something like that? What are we supposed to call this thing?

IMO, it’s more of a badge of honour these days, shows the country’s capable of spotting a variant - it’s strongly stressed that name of variant relates to where first identified, rather than genomically sequenced back to.

Cactus is back lecturing people on how they should take Covid less seriously? Isn’t there a containment thread for this?

1 Like

The first rule of not using offensive terminology is, don’t intend to be a jerk. The biggest difference between “China virus” and “South African variant” is not in grammar or conjugation but intent: people deliberately weaponized the term “China virus” against the Chinese, while “South African variant” isn’t being used to blame people in South Africa for its emergence.

3 Likes

There’s a push to stop calling these things after their place of origin for many reasons (including that we almost never know what the true point of origin is). Unfortunately it’s tough the resist the temptation to just informally call it the South African variant or whatever.

1 Like

US detects first known cases of South African variant

Health officials in the state of South Carolina have identified the first two US cases of the Covid variant initially seen in South Africa.

The duo have no connection to each other and no history of travel to countries where the variant has been seen, indicating there has likely already been local spread of the strain within the US.

It means the US has now identified three coronavirus variants from abroad.

Back in December, a member of the US Army in Colorado tested positive for the UK strain of the virus.

On Monday, a Minnesota resident who had recently traveled to Brazil tested positive for the version of the virus believed to originate there.

In addition, researchers in California say large outbreaks in the state may be attributable to a homegrown strain that is spreading rapidly.

All four variants are considered to be more contagious, but there is not yet any evidence that any of them cause more severe illness.

Link to above…

What’s all this about anal swabbing in China?

You might have seen reports earlier this week about China rolling out anal swabs to test people for Covid-19.

So what’s it all about? It’s currently not a widespread trend; it’s only evident that this has been carried out within a small group of people in the south of the capital, Beijing.

A school in the Daxing district “conducted a variety of tests including serum antibody tests, nasal, throat, and even anal swabs for all its staff and students”, the national Global Times newspaper reported.

An infectious disease expert in the city explained the tests were being conducted following studies showing “the coronavirus survives longer in the anus or excrement” than in the upper body tracts. So such tests are more accurate at detecting “silent carriers”.

State media say these tests have been “controversial among experts”, and that they are far less efficient than tests in the upper respiratory tracts. The existing tests are preferred, as they believe most people contract the virus orally.

Anal swabbing has been a major talking point on Chinese social media this week. As national broadcaster CCTV publicised these tests, and they were carried out in the Chinese capital, people have been voicing their hopes that these tests won’t become nationwide.

It’s been effective in discouraging some Chinese from travelling during the largest annual migration for Spring Festival and the Chinese New Year. Negative Covid-19 tests are a requirement this year for all travellers within seven days of their journey, and some people don’t want to take the risk!