COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Iā€™m Canadian ldo.

3 Likes

Just donated blood at Childrenā€™s Hospital Los Angeles. All the employees have been vaccinated, with most already receiving their second shots. Happy for them, happy for having a safer place to donate, and happy that CHLA has their shit together.

One of the guys said that he had no reaction to the first shot, but legit chills/fatigue for 24 hours after the second shot. He got Pfizer. He also works at UCLA where theyā€™re using Moderna and he says some co-workers there had even more severe reactions.

4 Likes

No, he is actually saying these things:

One of the Brazil variants is showing the best vaccine dodging capabilities to date

We donā€™t know this at all. Weā€™re a long way from knowing how any of these mutations will alter vaccine effectiveness.

1 Like

I think the portion fo the US population that is willing to be vaccinated is going to end up close to 90 percent, tbh.

Vaccine denial in the abstract is easy. Vaccine denial when we are pushing 5,000 deaths a day and when everybody knows someone who has died of Covid is much tougher. Iā€™m telling you, this is going to be an avalanche of people deciding that they want the vaccine after all. I donā€™t know anyone who themselves isnā€™t at most one degree separated from a Covid death at this point.

Iā€™ll try to rephrase

One of the Brazil variants is indicating the best vaccine dodging capabilities to date

orā€¦

One of the Brazil variants is already known to be escaping antibodies generated by first wave infections - vaccine generates antibodies specific to spike proteins at the time of design - other scientists are now checking the Japanese and UK scientists findings - this could well equate to ā€˜vaccine designed for first wave covidā€™ having less efficacy than when the efficacy was originally tested.

Maybe we can put this to bed when Biden closes the border to South America for ā€˜someā€™ reason. Too late for the UK variant as that was already rife in US, even though you took weeks to believe the same.

Thereā€™s a reason a country with the most advanced geonome surveillance has barred entry (only) from South America - you donā€™t need to be a genius to work out why.

Itā€™s great that we can redesign these vaccines within say 2 weeks but there are regulatory procedures to approve new vaccines, usually a few trials but thereā€™s no time for that shite when covid mutates sooo quickly - alas weā€™ll probably have to get used to taking untested vaccines IMHO, if we want to keep up with the speed of mutations

1 Like

Maybe. Weā€™ll see. I think for a depressing % of people it depends a lot on if proof of vaccination is required to do things they want to do.

Iā€™ve know about a dozen people personally who are nurses or techs in ERs that have gone through COVID who arenā€™t getting vaccinated. Youā€™re being overly optimistic imo, although I hope youā€™re right.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1350279766985719808

Is part of the calculus though that theyā€™ve already had Covid so they probably have some immunity anyway? I think thereā€™s a big difference between somebody who already had Covid not taking the vaccine versus somebody who never had it. Thinking about it, the only person I know right now who is eligible for the vaccine and opted not to take it is someone who already had Covid and recovered from it.

No. Just have various concerns about safety and etc

I still wonder though if those concerns are trumping risk of Covid in their head because theyā€™ve already had Covid, even if theyā€™re not verbalizing it.

I cannot emphasize this enough, they havenā€™t had covid.

2 Likes

We know that working in hospitals increases your risk of infection by a factor of three, but this risk is not evenly spread. Antibody tests carried out in many NHS hospitals over the summer showed it was not the ICU consultants or infectious ā€œred zoneā€ clinical staff who had the highest rate of infection, but porters and cleaners working in those areas. Their risk of infection was double that of their clinical colleagues.

A sanitation worker became the first Indian to receive a Covid vaccine as the country began the worldā€™s largest inoculation drive.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the programme, which aims to vaccinate more than 1.3 billion people against Covid.

2 Likes

No, we donā€™t know this at all. Itā€™s spreading rapidly in an environment where almost no one has been vaccinated. It can be more virulent without the vaccines being less effective.

Ohā€¦ Thatā€™s depressing then.

There was an article about a nursing home near me where like 60% of the staff say they wonā€™t get vaxxed. I canā€™t believe thatā€™s even an option for people who work in that job. I always assumed the flu shot was mandatory? Our society has a massive public health literacy problem.

Flu shot isnā€™t mandatory every where Iā€™ve worked (note: it might be in some places). People are supposed to wear masks if they donā€™t, but this isnā€™t strictly enforced any where Iā€™ve worked or trained.

Well hopefully some percent of the people opting out now will eventually get it after they see that the general population has been fine after receiving it. There seemed to be some ā€œwait and seeā€ sentiment out there.