COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Always interesting these articles.

Island province with 156k population suspends use. UK currently injecting at the rate of 156k AZ vaccines every 4 hours (for months now).

Unlikely to be news

1 Like

Alright guys whats your best estimate of when everyone who wants a vaccine will have access to them in USA

yah, if I posted that we need a link to the study that suggests this.

Otherwise it seems to imply a vaccinated person can still transmit to a vaccinated person (“Among those who were fully vaccinated…”) i.e vaccinated can catch and transmit to the vaccinated, albeit at a low rate. I wonder how much they transmit to the unvaccinated.

Any idea when the study data end date was? (it was pre-variants).

For the avoidance of doubt, I’m not shitting on current vaccines

Pakistan president tests positive

Pakistan’s President Arif Alvi has tweeted that he has tested positive for Covid-19.

Alvi, who is 71, says he has taken the first dose of a Covid vaccine but is awaiting the second.

It is still possible to contract coronavirus after being vaccinated but the jabs protect most people against serious complications of the disease. A second dose also offers greater protection.

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan tested positive earlier this month. Cases in Pakistan are on the rise, with about 4,000 cases a day reported in the past week.

Nice. I’m going to become a basketball ref and make bad calls just so the coach will take off his mask and yell in my face.

330 posts were split to a new topic: On the Origins of Covid

Keep the hair! I’m on about 14 months of growth, I had a trim in July from a relative but my last real cut was Feb 2020

1 Like

Late May?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1376610861603774466

3 Likes

This could go into poor media outlet choices, but, uh, did no one think about paying people more?

3 Likes

That’s not really an answer to his question though.

90% isn’t 100%. More importantly, eligible in 3 weeks is very different than able to get a shot in 3 weeks.

I’m having some real mixed emotions looking at the pace of vaccinations (good!) with the increase in cases (bad!). Here in Franklin County, OH, cases have jumped up a bit recently. It’s a pretty small movement relative to the steep decline in the past 3 months (these are the 3 counties making up our school district):

Again, maybe a minor blip of noise in an otherwise-solid decline, but that increase seems to be happening a lot around the country.

Here’s a county-level case rates over time for counties with high rates (7-day average cases/100,000 population >=100), medium rates (>=50 and <100), and low rates (<50). This only includes counties with a population of at least 100,000.

Basically, this was maxed out for several months, where ~100% of these counties were reporting high rates of cases. Since mid-January or so, that started falling, so that we got to roughly 50% of these counties at low or medium case rates. But, just like in my local OH area, there’s been a small reversal in recent weeks. The biggest part of me isn’t super worried - we’re getting close to 100 million people having received at least one vaccination shot. So I’m assuming there’s no way we see a spike like we did last fall. But the other part of me is just completely sick of this past year and terribly pessimistic that we’re in for several more months of this shit being all over the place.

Update, first shot scheduled for April 1st

14 Likes

They’re gonna poz you instead.

5 Likes

CDC stated there will be no national US vaccine passport as they fear government involvement will be viewed as too heavy handed (feds especially). This will be a private sector project with some guidance from the White House at some point, but basically going to be up to the private sector to come up with a profitable model for vax passes.

Is this real? Are they just trolling us now?

The White House, meanwhile is ruling out the creation of a national “vaccine passport” for Americans to verify their immunization status, saying it is leaving it to the private sector to develop a system for people show they’ve been vaccinated. Some other countries are establishing national databases to allow vaccinated people to resume normal activities.

“We do know that there is a segment of the population that is concerned that the government will play too heavy-handed of a role in monitoring their vaccinations,” said White House COVID-19 adviser Andy Slavitt. He said officials are worried that “it would discourage people” from getting vaccinated if the federal government was involved.

The administration, instead, is developing guidelines for such passports, touching on privacy, accuracy and equity, but the White House has not said when those guidelines will be ready.

Not a big vax passport fan this early, but obviously a centralized system much better than having to deal with whatever number of systems we have and a profit model (probably free to consumer then charge the event organizer x amount a head I would think. Ticketmaster will probably pay $4 a head then charge the consumer $10)

And opening to everyone over 16 starting April 6th. No idea why NY thought it important to allow 30-50 year olds to have 1 week priority, but whatever.

This whole situation is like that meme of the guy on a bicycle who jams a stick into his wheel and yells “Scientists!” after he falls, only also in the first panel there are like a dozen science bros yelling at him to not jam a stick in his wheel and in the last panel the scientists fix his bike for him.

5 Likes

And here I am in between those two states hearing stories about how the 50-59 age group just eligible today booked every spot in existence out to late April.

I’m “eligible” next Monday as a member of the 40-49 group, but am starting to wonder if I’m going to have to wait until May.

1 Like