COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Oh, I thought of one more. Back A Yard in Menlo Park is a Jamaican restaurant kinda in the ghetto but it’s amazing food. Their jerk chicken (dark meat, please) is good enough that I have a hard time buying anything else from them, but their goat curry and oxtails are also awesome. The jerk sauce is good enough to drink, no matter how spicy it is. They have a nicer offshoot in downtown Palo Alto called Coconuts, but I feel like the original spot in the ghetto is a more authentic match for the food, ya know? It’s close to Facebook HQ, and there’s some other tech stuff in the area gentrifying it, so it gets very crowded at lunch time, but you can call ahead, which I heartily recommend if you try it for lunch.

1 Like

isn’t Menlo Park the town with 3 million dollar 2 bed 2 bath homes? There’s a ghetto there?

Yes. Like, for Palo Alto, its ghetto is East Palo Alto, which is technically a separate city. It led the nation in murder rate a while back, and while it’s improving, it’s not exactly nice. I lived there for a few years under a slum lord who eventually got arrested for shooting out the car mirrors of his tenants to try to get them to move out so that he could jack up the rent (EPA is strongly rent controlled. Thankfully I had moved out by the time he was doing that, but I have my own horror stories). For Menlo Park, the portion on the east side of 101 and adjacent to the EPA is just as ghetto but still technically Menlo Park rather than being a separate city. West of 101, yeah, Menlo Park is really rich and safe. Although these days, the 3 milly 2bd/2ba homes may be the ones in the ghetto while the ones on the other side of 101 are north of that.

Zillow estimates the 4 bed 3 bath house behind that restaurant as being only about a million, but those are know to not always be accurate.

I was exaggerating a bit, and I think those prices are pretty accurate. Even the ghetto in that part of the country is expensive af.

Anyways, when my brother lived in SF, he swore by Yelp as a source for restaurant info.

I’ve found Eater to be useful on my trips to Vegas, so I expect that their lists have some value for visitors to the Bay Area. For example, their Eater 38 lists for various cities tend to be good, from what I can tell. You’ll also get updates on how they are handling the pandemic. It’s a good starting point for research.

sounds like private prisons need a covid bailout

Went to Alinea in January with 4 friends. Probably not something I need to do multiple times but as a once a decade experience it was extremely cool and worth it. Tremendous timing as well doing it a month before COVID hit.

5 Likes

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for widespread use.

British regulator, the MHRA, says the jab, which offers up to 95% protection against Covid-19 illness, is safe for roll out next week.

Immunisations could start within days for people in high priority groups.

2 Likes

Uh oh

Although the numbers have declined quite a lot, the release of certain restrictions has led to an increase in the reproduction rate. We were hanging around 0.7 two weeks ago. Now it has climbed to 0.9.

Just when everybody thought they could get back to normal too. Wouldn’t be surprised if we move back up to the fourth stage (of five) of the anti-epidemic system created by the government by the end of the month which would end up being two weeks late like during the summer.

so who’s the first UPer to get vaxxed?

Churchill got the Russian vaccine surely

Can’t come a moment too soon, as things are spiraling rapidly out of control here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-residents-free-covid-19-063748336.html

2 Likes

It’s all relative - 2,000 deaths from a much bigger population doesn’t seem bad from where I’m sitting (75k deaths so far).

Of course. But we all know that when things start going bad, cases and deaths can multiply in a hurry, especially with winter approaching.

Just my daily “LA is going down in flames” post

L.A. County is now forecasting up to 8,000 new coronavirus cases a day by the end of this week and potentially 9,000 a day by the middle or end of next week, according to a source who listened to a briefing given by county health officials.

L.A. County on Tuesday reported more than 7,500 new cases — the most in a single day, which the director of public health called “the worst day thus far” of the pandemic. The previous single-day high for all of L.A. County was recorded on Nov. 23, according to The Times’ independent tally, with 6,186 cases.

“It will likely not remain the worst day of the pandemic in Los Angeles County. That will be tomorrow, and the next day and the next as cases, hospitalizations and deaths increase,” Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said in a statement.

1 Like

I dunno but I’ve been rooting pretty hard for family of health care workers to show up on one of these tier lists and it never happens. I assume Caffeine, will and Crunchy will be vaccinated soon.

In any fair system, family of HCW would be vaccinated early.

3 Likes

My wife said she estimated 60% of her coworkers have said they will not be taking the vaccine right away. Mostly because they feel it is rushed. I think a lot of people might feel that way and there may be more vaccine for willing participants sooner than most people think right now.

It remains to be seen what the parameters will be around vaccine choice. If employers push vaccinations as a condition to return to work that will influence alot of people.

1 Like