COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I’m definitely being a dick now, but I don’t think I was in the original exchange.

My list of good words to try to work into my book just got a new addition.

3 Likes

Fabulist is a great word. Other favourite words relating to discourse and argument include “didactic” and “tendentious”.

Touche. I’ll drop it now but I’m pretty sure what happened here is that Dan posted disinformation from a bullshit artist, I civilly pointed this out, and for my trouble I got ignored and he continued to pump the same disinformation into the thread. I think it’s reasonable to be a little annoyed by this, so I’m pleading justifiable dickishness.

lol gtfooh talk about fabulists good god.

So much drama from one The Atlantic thinkpiece.

I’m talking about the exchange a week ago. I’ve pointed out a couple of times since then, civilly, that he was repeating bullshit. I got rude when he (I thought) disregarded me and continued to post Jones’s tweets, because I don’t think it’s OK to knowingly post bad sources in the thread. I had no idea that he had ignored me midway through our exchange a week ago and wasn’t seeing my posts.

Ignore lists should be public.

3 Likes

What the fuck is wrong with you?

3 Likes

Shut up ■■■■■

11 Likes

I think it would be nice to at least be warned when directly replying to a poster that they won’t see the reply. My post from 4 days ago that I’m talking about is here:

That wasn’t a direct reply to Dan, but two posts up I had directly replied to him, so of course I assumed he saw all this. This was my second attempt to tell him that Jones wasn’t a credible source and he shouldn’t post information from her, the third time was when I started being a dick.

1 Like

Yeah, +1 to this. It’s good posts like those that make this site worthwhile.

I don’t think it’s over the line. I’m all for going after misinformation aggressively. Now it’s possible to get carried away with that, but I don’t think Chris has gone too far.

2 Likes

I’m leaving on ignore after peeking a bit. Apparently this has earned me some type of vendetta.

I have no way to break the tie if this person is nuts and got fired for being nuts or if she got fired for refusing to BS Florida data and then smeared (or of course some non flattering personal stuff got brought to life).

Plenty of other cites that call into question the concept that schools don’t spread the virus.

I do strenuously object time any claim that I am arguing my position in bad faith.

If anyone thinks I am idiot or argue in bad faith please put me on ignore. I do not participate here for stress.

5 Likes

Are we allowed to think bars and restaurants AND schools should be closed?

4 Likes

You’re in no position to complain about anyone ignoring you. No reason to engage at all with you right now really

Schools spread the virus. They aren’t magic. They just should be a top top priority in this whole mess. I don’t think that is remotely controversial to anyone and yet I see (mostly churchill) come here posting “proof” schools are safe nearly every day. Dan pushes back against that because it’s obvious nonsense (schools aren’t any safer or more dangerous than any other prolonged indoor activity) and here we are.

4 Likes

Is there? I mean, as a parent of 3 kids in public school, I am more than just casually interested in understanding whether the virus is spreading at schools. And obviously cases in schools are increasing as cases in those communities are increasing. But our governor has been pretty insistent that there’s data showing cases are not spreading in schools. And I haven’t read anything convincing that can distinguish between the following two arguments:

• increasing cases at schools reflect cases that are being spread outside of school, but not generating new cases in school
  • increasing cases at schools reflect transmission in school

If it’s the first, then I think that there are good arguments for keeping the schools open as long as they continue to require masks, maintaining distance between students, and take other precautionary actions. If it’s the second, then not.

Apparently not. Reasoned opinion that schools should be open before indoor dining/bars but NOT open when the community spread is already out of control is heresy that must be met by burning the heeetic (me?) at the stake. I don’t believe anyone here is taking the position that schools should just be closed for f2f for the pandemic duration. But if the fire started in the garage and spread to the kitchen it would make sense to not eat in the kitchen while it is still on fire.

Btw the cites on veracity come from
1 Fox News
2 Daily caller

Reputable sites have been positive or neutral.
I’ve put in all the google level research I’m going to put in on RJ.

But that’s not the point. The point seems to be personal. When I feel personal I put that person on ignore for some amount of time. Apparently that allowed me to miss some things that feel very much like a personal attack.

I’d appreciate PMs as to where I may have gone awry. I’m leaving ignore on. Doesn’t seem constructive.

I disagree

Schools get discussed more because there is more of an argument, while we all agree bars and indoor dining should be closed, so not much to discuss there.

1 Like

1 Like

F2F done well may likely not be a big problem in the classroom.

One can also argue that the spread may occur without the schools open regardless.

My net read of the information and my experience with contamination in industrial fermentation and behavior of kids (Dad of 5) also gives me a strong gut sense that schools should not be F2F until proven NOT to cause spread. Or at least not open when the case counts are so high that real contact tracing cannot be done. If we don’t contact trace we can’t prove schools are a source of spread? Literally that seems to be an argument.

The idea of putting any group of 100s of people together in the middle of a pandemic and not impacting spread is unlikely.

1 Like